Building Chicken Coops is dangerous work

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
I'm currently building my 9th and 10th coops to sell. 9 is sold 10 is display. But boy it sure can be DANGEROUS work. I put a 1.5" industrial type staple through my thumb today. a Month ago I put a big honking nail through the finger next to my currently injured thumb.
hit.gif
All I can say, is it's a good thing I have a doctor living next door or these coops would be really expensive
gig.gif
Might be cheaper to invest in a good set of clamps
lau.gif

Bless your Heart!

You and my DH should have a beer and discuss war wounds when it comes to coop building!

DH has been stung by Lord knows how many red whaps... Accidently drank a mouth full of ants that wanted a taste of his thermal cup full of Gateraide while he was working on the coop...
sickbyc.gif

Thank goodness for no missing pendagies or blood.

Hang in there - We feel your pain!

I remember reading about his wasp/ant experience. I got a good laugh out of that. Guess it's my turn to supply the humor.
big_smile.png

It wasn't all that bad or painful, but pulling it out of my thumb was really gross!
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Dang! You sound as derned clumsy as I am! I was shoein a colt the other day, and right as I was about to hammer in a nail, the colt jerked his foot and I drove that nail ALL the way through the tip of my middle finger. You've got my sympathy man! Thats for dang sure!

I love construction related war stories! Mine was a 2 1/2 inch finish gun nail that I managed to pin all four fingers together with. Missed all the bones and nerves. didn't really hurt that much. Reached in my apron and got my pliers to yank it out. That and my nose dive of the top of a wall with a wide open chain saw. Fractured my skull and chipped three teeth, but I hung on to the saw. The best one I'v seen was an x-ray of a guy with a 16 penny nail through the top of his plastic hard hat into his skull.

Need to add in an extra $$$ amount. Just advertise it as "putting a little bit of yourself in everything you build"!

The most dangerous part of our coop building was when I was driving over the road truck hauling steel and my husband and son kept telling me the coop and new run were almost finished. They told me this for about two weeks. Called on a Wednesday to tell them I'd be home Friday. Turns out they'd been goofing off and the coop and run were barely started! My guess is that Thursday and Friday at my house were REALLY busy days.

I pulled in late Friday nite, so didn't get to check things out till Saturday morning. I swear to you, it looked like they stood back 20 yards and THREW the materials into a pile and called it a coop. Took me two days to rebuild the roof!!! Fortunately (for my chickens) I'm no longer over the road so I can supervise the building projects.

Funny how when I asked about their "two week project", they both just pointed at each other and said "well, if HE had gotten off his butt ...."

Just told em, "nevermind!"
hmm.png

OUCH!!!

Yeah I've been there. We were cutting foam insulation for our duck coop and my husband handed me the utility knife - which was a bad idea in the first place, I'm so clumsy. Anyway, I don't think the side of my index finger will ever line up the correct way again. I sliced my finger open from the side of my nail over to the middle of my finger. I didn't go to the hospital because the bleeding stopped pretty quickly, but it was 3 or 4 days before I could look at my finger. It was gross.

Cowboy, it sounds like your bleedin all over everything. Just paint the chicken houses red and they will never know. Think of all the people your helping by building those houses. They would have a lot more holes in their fingers than you do, trust me. I was one solid band-aid by the time we finished with our house, not counting the chicken run wire!!! Take care, lots of neosporin,,,,
duc.gif
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom