Building coop from old interior doors/ really basic carpentry questions

Kimbe

Hatching
7 Years
May 5, 2012
So, we are first-time chicken owners with zero carpentry experience, but wanted to try (and will admit failure, if necessary!) building our own coop from recycled/free materials. We have three old interior doors that I'm thinking of making the coop from-- one door for the roof, one door for one side of the coop, one door for the other side (making a tunnel). On both ends of the tunnel I would build hinged doors. On the bottom of the coop, I'd put hardware cloth. Two of the old interior doors have louvered areas; I'd also put hardware cloth over these areas. We live in California with a mild/no snow climate. So.. the very basic questions: How do I attach the old doors together securely? I'm thinking buttjoints with long screws and then screwing the tunnel onto a rectangular base of 2 X 4s. I'm also thinking a few 2 X 4s across the width of the coop at the top (under the "roof")... But (obviously, maybe?), I've never built anything. I'd love suggestions on both the design, as well as recommendations for good basic carpentry books/websites. Thanks! Kimberly

It might work while the sun is shining, but when it get rained upon ... I think it will delaminate and turn to crap.

Back
Top Bottom