Building Coop

Lorettolady

In the Brooder
May 26, 2022
Loretto, Pennsylvania
We'll be moving onto our new property this summer and I need advice on how to design my Coop. I have around 60 birds not including two turkeys and 3 ducks. I'm looking into building a 28ffx15ft, 420 sf coop with a 10x10 attachment for storage. They're going to be free roaming so I don't need a run would this be adequate room? Also would it be better to house the ducks by themselves or will the be fine together? I've always had them together before but figured since I'm building it could be separate.

I cant really offer much advice, since I'm not with you inside the yard where your coop will be built. Also no location in your profile,,,,, so no Idea what would be best for your needs.
Consider scanning the 100's of coops in this Articles section...... for ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

Housing your turkeys, and ducks together with your chickens should be fine. You don't have that many. If you have drakes,,,,,, some of them may do harm to chickens. (but not always) Something to watch though.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I cant really offer much advice, since I'm not with you inside the yard where your coop will be built. Also no location in your profile,,,,, so no Idea what would be best for your needs.
Consider scanning the 100's of coops in this Articles section...... for ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

Housing your turkeys, and ducks together with your chickens should be fine. You don't have that many. If you have drakes,,,,,, some of them may do harm to chickens. (but not always) Something to watch though.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thanks, Sorry totally forgot. I'm in Pennsylvania. They're not drakes luckily.

We'll be moving onto our new property this summer and I need advice on how to design my Coop. I have around 60 birds not including two turkeys and 3 ducks. I'm looking into building a 28ffx15ft, 420 sf coop with a 10x10 attachment for storage. They're going to be free roaming so I don't need a run would this be adequate room? Also would it be better to house the ducks by themselves or will the be fine together? I've always had them together before but figured since I'm building it could be separate.
Are you now keeping birds in the same climate?
Experience is a dear teacher.

What kind of building, metal/wood, type of roof., etc.

What are your goals for keeping so many chickens?

I'm in Pennsylvania.
Welcome to BYC! @Lorettadean
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1653653970257.png

Here's howt

Welcome to BYC.

Is there a particular reason you want such a large flock in one building? I have 23 adults in one coop and am working on dividing it to separate subflocks for easier management.

Is such a large building compatible with your zoning, etc? Will you need a building permit?

With a really big building like that code compliance and appropriate structure will be extremely important for you own safety. If you do go with one big building rather than several separate buildings, I would suggest looking into a pole barn kit then modify it appropriately to provide the necessary ventilation.

Also, ducks and chickens are not usually good roommates. Ducks are inherently wet. Chickens are healthiest when kept absolutely dry. Additionally, ducks sleep on the ground. Chickens roost above and end up pooping on the ducks.

View attachment 3125570
Here's howt

View attachment 3125570
Here's howt
Thanks for the help with putting my location. I'm not sure what you mean about the first question. I'm planning on keeping them all on the same property yes. They've all lived on the same property without issue. Not sure on in the same coop I may end up doing smaller coops. For the building I'm planning on doing slanted metal roofing with wooden walls and large vents covered in hardware cloth/chicken wire. I'm keeping that many birds because I'm raising meet and eggs for 16 people. We did use to have broilers as meat birds instead of general chickens, but due to all the bird viruses going around right now we decided to hatch our own meat birds instead of buying from hatcheries.

Welcome to BYC.

Is there a particular reason you want such a large flock in one building? I have 23 adults in one coop and am working on dividing it to separate subflocks for easier management.

Is such a large building compatible with your zoning, etc? Will you need a building permit?

With a really big building like that code compliance and appropriate structure will be extremely important for you own safety. If you do go with one big building rather than several separate buildings, I would suggest looking into a pole barn kit then modify it appropriately to provide the necessary ventilation.

Also, ducks and chickens are not usually good roommates. Ducks are inherently wet. Chickens are healthiest when kept absolutely dry. Additionally, ducks sleep on the ground. Chickens roost above and end up pooping on the ducks.
I thought about doing smaller coops still am honestly. They're all going to be free-range during the day and with smaller coops in the past they all ended up in just one ir two with empty buildings. So idk which to pick.

Luckily where we'll be living it doesn't matter what you build and permits aren't required. My family is a bunch of Carpenters so I'm not worried about proper building or safety.

That's what I thought about the ducks. I never planned on having ducks but had 3 dumped on our property after Easter last year. I'm gonna put them in a separate coop as to keep the chickens dry.

Back
Top Bottom