Building my automatic coop door opener. Wifi, Open source, ~$60

Update:

Door opens and closes daily so I'm confident the code is right. I've add three new sensors, two temperature/humidity sensors and one water proof temperature sensor. With these I'll be able to tell the temperature/humidity in and outside the coop as well as my water temperature for the winter.

looking good.

I'm probably getting this kit. It doesn't have the sensors I want, but it has all the other miscellaneous stuff. Do you buy your sensors individually or is there a sensor kit that you recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P2E9W30/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ADHH624DX2Q66

You could get a kit like that, if anything it will teach what things do what and how to hook them up. Like gpop1 said, you're best option is to find a project you want to build and find the sensors/parts that are required for that and learn from experience. I usually get my parts from either http://sparkfun.com, https://www.adafruit.com/ or ebay

Installed it in the coop yesterday and it's working great; closed and opened the door exactly at sunset + 30 minutes and sunrise.

2015-06-15 05:06:48,900 - INFO - Door should be open based on time
2015-06-15 05:06:48,905 - INFO - Opening door
2015-06-15 05:07:22,360 - INFO - Top sensor triggered
2015-06-15 05:07:22,365 - INFO - Stop door
2015-06-15 05:07:22,371 - INFO - Door is open
2015-06-15 05:10:58,772 - INFO - Water temp: 66.761600
2015-06-15 05:10:59,914 - INFO - Temp=63.1*F Humidity=59.5% Inside
2015-06-15 05:11:02,997 - INFO - Temp=61.9*F Humidity=65.2% Outside

Great work! I have never done an arduino / rasberry Pi project, but I have always wanted to and have been thinking the coop is a great opportunity for this. I'm going to use a linear actuator (something like this) as it will be a side-swing door.

I have some questions:
  1. Have you thought about, and is it possible to add lighting timer function?
  2. Are you data-logging the temp / humidity settings, or is it just real-time display only?
  3. Do you have a manual override to open/close the door in case of failure or you want to do coop maintenance?
  4. I saw one commercial door operator add a "second chance" feature to the door closing at dusk which opens the door about 5 mins after close to allow any stray chickens in. Is it possible to program this?
  5. How about adding some type of buzzer/chime that signals the chickens that the door is about to close and for them to get into the house (maybe 1-2 minutes prior to door close)?

Linear actuator are nice but they expensive. The one you listed is only 6" which if you go side to side might be enough.

To answer your questions:

• Have you thought about, and is it possible to add lighting timer function?

The original plan was to use light sensors but in the end I felt tuning it to sunrise/sunset was more accurate.

• Are you data-logging the temp / humidity settings, or is it just real-time display only?

Logging, door open/close and all three temperatures are logged in a database. I'm working on a simple interface but I doubt I'll look at it, email alerts are better for me.

• Do you have a manual override to open/close the door in case of failure or you want to do coop maintenance?

Yeah, in the video I think I explain how it works. If you hold one of the buttons down it goes into manual mode so you can open/shut it when ever you want. It stays in manual mode for an hour before converting back to auto mode.

• I saw one commercial door operator add a "second chance" feature to the door closing at dusk which opens the door about 5 mins after close to allow any stray chickens in. Is it possible to program this?

Yeah, easy to do and if I find that chickens are not making it in I'll add something like that.

• How about adding some type of buzzer/chime that signals the chickens that the door is about to close and for them to get into the house (maybe 1-2 minutes prior to door close)?

I was planning on buzzer or bell if they didn't come in but I haven't noticed in my manual tests that any of the birds were outside when the door started to shut. Again, if I notice they're not going in I'll work on something like this

Ah, yeah, I'm on the fence about this but I would simply use a relay to drive a normal light and similar on/off controls based off time of light needed.

looks real good and im glad everything is working. Its always a good idea to get something working then decide In the future if things need to be tweaked or changed, Ive had to go back and tweak my program a few times to cover something that I never thought of or to make the interface more user friendly. Plus theres always more toys to add..lol

Nice.

Built this one for just over $45.
  • String won't break.
  • Super easy to mount
  • It locks.
  • And it has a fall arrest system. Just in case the stainless steel wire rope breaks( NEVER WILL, Unlike regular string might), it won't become a guillotine. Will probably never need it but it's there. LOL

$20 MHCOZY 4CH WIFI AND RF REMOTE
$7 Fishing Leaders
$10.99 Adjustable Picture Hanging Wire kit
$6.99 Thrust Bearing

Everything else was free since I already had it. Including prices only because If someone wants to do it this way they can. But the main part are relatively easy to get.

Will Need:

$8.99 PWM DC 6V 12V 24V 28V 3A Motor Speed Control Switch Controller
or
$4.83 DC Motor Controller, PWM Professional DC Motor Speed Controller DC 12V-30V 7A Large Power for Adjust The Voltage

All of this can be take from an old power wheels kids ride on toy.

Adding these parts but they are not necessary, they can be made
$11.99 Momentary Limit Switch Roller Lever
$9.99 Inductive Probe PL-08N2 Inductive Proximity Sensor

Linear actuator are nice but they expensive.
@$35 they are not that expensive. Especially when you get way more bang for your buck.
  • Security
  • built in limit switches
  • locks in place when needed
  • if breaks it won't become a guillotine
use a relay to drive a normal light and similar on/off controls
Use a motor hat. You can control lights on/off or dim over time.

Back
Top Bottom