1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Building my First Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cdworks, Aug 21, 2013.

1. cdworks

cdworks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    I decided to build my first coop! Here is my progress! Everything is from reclaimed pallets so far I have less than $15 in this coop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Yeah! another palletizer!

We have a 12'x20'x7' high coop made from pine pallets, one that is 6'x3'x6'high, a girls clubhouse and three fences made from pallets.

It looks way good.

3. cdworks

Aug 21, 2013
    I'd like to see those fences! Here is an update! I have the door on! and the vents covered with Chicken Wire.

[​IMG]

4. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop

Not to jack this thread, but I would totally love to see those fences too. I am also a self proclaimed palletizer with three coops to date!

5. GSPx2

GSPx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Looks good! I built my first coop a few weeks ago as well, and I must admit, I had so much fun that I want to build another one. Every day I see something new I want to add or change to the coop or run.

6. :)

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Looking good!! We spent way too much on our coop so I love to see those who use pallets.

Chicken wire isn't strong enough to keep out most predators. Hardware cloth is better. How many chickens do you have?

8. cdworks

Aug 21, 2013
    I don't have any yet! I am building this one for my first flock. I will only have 4-6 to start. I am hoping Chicken Wire will be sufficient. The only predators I have in the area are dogs (because the dogs run the rest of the predators off) and I have solutions for them.

9. Pallets do make really good looking products if done right. My avatar is a pallet coop for some of my quail. Pulling nails is not fun but worth it in the end. Your coop is looking good.

10. cdworks

Aug 21, 2013
    Got the last of the siding on and the slats for the roof! Wife is going to paint it tonight and I'll put the roofing on tomorrow. (got about 60 linear feet of 38" wide metal roofing for free from a friend)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by