Need to build a new coop

Tyler11299

Hatching
Jan 13, 2024
Currently I converted my old gazebo into a coop. Well we grew in numbers from 3 chickens to 15... it holds them fine however it's an old gazebo and just rotting away. Everytime I fix something it falls apart. Are there any good plans for a coop and a run for all 15? That's easy to build for someone who doesn't have much carpentry skills at all

:welcome
Just make a them a tin shed with logs and concrete as the base and fence with wire fencing. Sorry it is very messy but here is a rough 2D diagram
Make sure you dig a deep hole for the concrete and logs to go in
Transparent grey/gray is tin
Grey/ gray is Concrete
Brown is logs
Light grey/gray is fencing

Attachments

• 9B10047B-D806-4921-A1F9-C5272C621230.jpeg
    9B10047B-D806-4921-A1F9-C5272C621230.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 15
Among the easiest for people with beginner construction skills is a hoop coop made with cattle panels.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hoop-coop-retrofit.1593936/page-3#post-27108467

Next easiest, I think, is retrofitting an existing shed. This is a good example
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-mulligan.74743/

Next easiest, is building a standard shed with modifications to allow enough ventilation. There are a lot of books and internet info on how to build sheds.

Don't insulate it unless you live where temperatures go below -20 F or so. It doesn't help the chickens and gives rodents a safe place to hide. And nearly all shed plans have very small eaves - it is well worth making the roof big enough to get eaves at least a foot wide.

The best design, in my opinion is a Woods open air but it is somewhat more difficult to build. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-style-house-in-the-winter.445004/#post-5566206

I like my shed style coop. It would be big enough for 15 chickens if it was used as a typical coop, that is, opening to a run. Or the dimensions are easy to change. The dimensions actually should be changed to better fit 4x8 sheets of plywood or osb if that is what you use. Ten feet and fourteen feet doesn't matter when building with board and battan.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...chickens-so-feedback-is-very-welcome.1448462/

Mine is board and battan but the walls could be done with studs and plywood or osb. Or most other wall options: log, stackwood, stucco, and so on.

We bought the basic structure from a local shed maker because his bulk discount on materials let him build it for about what we would have spent on materials.

I'm not sure what area you live in, but you will need to take your climate into account. Saysfaa has a great example in their thread they linked. I personally like the walk in coops the best, you could make a simple shed style coop, it doesn't have to be perfect, just structurally sound. I am needing another coop so am getting a pre-made shed and they are building in extra ventilation for me and placing all the doors and windows were I chose. For the speed and price, it makes the most sense for my situation.

Build it larger than you think they will need. Make the run covered so it can keep your chickens dry. If you live in a cold area, have a plan to winterize the run, keeping most of the wind off your ladies!

Saysfaa is so right about building materials. They typically come in four foot increments. If you measure a shed or house or garage (which I have done as a tax assessor) you find multiples of four. If you design around the size of the materials you will have less cutting and therefore fewer "it doesn't fit together" problems.

You don't have to cover the entire run. They like to be in the sunshine. You can always add a tarp over the exposed area if necessary.

I would use plywood rather than OSB. In fact, you could use marine board. More expensive, but factor in the longer life of the structure. You can put ventilation at the top of the walls. This would ensure it is over the chicken heads and it will act like a chimney to draw air through.

Currently I converted my old gazebo into a coop. Well we grew in numbers from 3 chickens to 15... it holds them fine however it's an old gazebo and just rotting away. Everytime I fix something it falls apart. Are there any good plans for a coop and a run for all 15? That's easy to build for someone who doesn't have much carpentry skills at all

Well you've got two options: retrofit/modify something existing or get a book on framing from the library, find a video guide to framing on YouTube, and then figure out what minimum tools you need.

Here's my 2 cents on a couple ideas.

Retrofit:
Sheds. Great because they're usually weatherproof and aren't hard to modify with wood construction. More complex to buy used.

Metal carport. Durable roof that needs only be enclosed. Could be more complicated to modify if you don't have the right tools. Can be found used or bought and assembled in place. Most can be taken apart and moved.

Dog fencing/kennels. Provides good protection from many predators if you solve the digging under the fence issue. Can also be found used.

Building isn't rocket surgery, but you should expect to make mistakes or plans not working. Fixing them without wasting materials and time is usually what makes someone "good" at it.

Back
Top Bottom