Building my nest boxes... *PICS*

MichiganWoods

DD (Artistic Digital Diva)
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
Keep in mind I've never looked at plans... nor have I ever built anything like this in my life... I've been looking at a ton of boxes online but just couldn't justify the huge huge cost. Plus, I wanted wood nests with a roll out, and so far I've only seen it made in metal.

Not perfect, but we'll see how well it works when the chickens arrive!

Here was the start of the nest box structure:

nest_start.jpg

Here I put a lid on the top with a hinge (going to add two more support hinges before I'm all said and done):

nest_start2.jpg

Here it is on the stand I put together, with it's hinged lid pulled open:

nest_start3.jpg

Here it is coated with a primer coat of white barn paint:

nest_start4.jpg

And the back view:

nest_start5.jpg

And a close-up on the roll back trough:

nest_start6.jpg

clap.gif
VERYYYY NICE!!!! u gotta take pics of em in em when they start layin
big_smile.png

good job,
big_smile.png

Thank you! I sure will!

Tomorrow I'm going to give them another coat of paint and hopefully they'll be good to go (bar adding hay!)

Quote:
well, just dont forget it will have poop all over it later lol
tongue.png

Thank you all.
smile.png

Yeah, I know there's going to be a lot of poop.
tongue.png
We decided that even though our coop can house 25, we're only going to start with 12 hens. I figure that'll give us enough to deal with for the winter, plus there won't be *as* much poop as there could be. Should make the DLM pretty effective.

On the inside. We've got far far too many predators around here for me to put this outside, or even have it open up to the outside. I've been reading that hens like dark spaces to lay their eggs, so I'm going to face the opening towards the back wall and leave about two feet for them to maneuver up into the nests. That way, when I go into the coop, I can walk towards the back and the eggs should be facing me in the trough. That's the idea, anyway!

Last edited:
Real nice ! Did you build the coop too? We just finished our coop and I don't know whether to insulate it or not. Have heard conflicting stories towards weather I should or not. We live in the mountains of west central Montana and it is snowing outside right now ! Went down to 31 this morning. Brrrrrrrr ! By the way I am a newcomer to forums and may make many mistakes before I get this all straight! LOL !

Back
Top Bottom