Building my new Jumbo Coturnix pen

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
I currently have 1 male and 3 female Jumbo Coturnix in one level of my Brower Brooder in my garage. I haven't moved them out yet because they hatched in the winter and I don't want the shock of moving out into the cold to kill them. I plan to expand to 2 males and 8 females and need more space before I do that.

I posted an ad on Craigslist a while back that basically said that I would haul off any old buildings for free. Someone very close to where I live answered and wanted me to haul off a rabbit hutch. It was basically a stand wrapped in chicken wire. I took off most of the chicken wire and took a reciprocating saw and cut the sides down at an angle. I am going to put this pen in my new coop and have a slanted lid on it so the chickens won't roost on it and attach a droppings board under it so they don't foul my deep litter for my chickens.

5570_dsci0770.jpg

5570_dsci0771.jpg

What I'm going to do for the lid is make a framework of 1x2's and put hardware cloth over it, then hinge it to the piece of OSB that I've screwed across the top there. For the droppings board, I'm going to use OSB with newspaper on it and slide it on top of 2x4's that I'm going to be attaching to the legs.

I'll post more pics as I get it done. I've been working on this whenever the weather is too nasty to work on my new coop.

Last edited:
Quote:
Got any ideas for feeding and watering in this pen?

Did you see Macnuggets humidifyer watering post? You can get the set up from him if you're interested, i think he asks for shipping most of the time. He'll be getting coturnix eggs from me for him sending me out em
smile.png

as for feeding, honestly my hill billy feeders for my quails isnt anything clever, just bought chick feeder things at the tractor supply store and fill em about every other day
smile.png

Quote:
Got any ideas for feeding and watering in this pen?

Did you see Macnuggets humidifyer watering post? You can get the set up from him if you're interested, i think he asks for shipping most of the time. He'll be getting coturnix eggs from me for him sending me out em
smile.png

as for feeding, honestly my hill billy feeders for my quails isnt anything clever, just bought chick feeder things at the tractor supply store and fill em about every other day
smile.png

You can use the long feeders and wire them to the side of the cage. Then have a seperate pan underneath for the food they drop out of the feeder. If it is under the feeder they shouldn't poo in it. That would lower the feed wasted by the little boogers. I use the pop bottle waterers for mine.

I don't think I can have an auto-waterer type. I think it would freeze solid and frustrate me to death in the winter. What I'm thinking of doing is using the water spout from my Brower Brooder and drilling a hole in the side of the pen and attaching a 2 liter bottle to it for a waterer.

I like the idea of a feeder with a catch pan under it for the feed that they waste.

Well, it's drizzling outside. I think today is an ideal day to stay in my garage and build the lid for this pen. I just got back from the hardware store with the braces, hinges and latches for it.
smile.png

I use the soda pop bottle waterers in my breeder coop for the quail and chickens. I keep extras on hand so I can just swap out the bottles when they freeze. A little extra work, but not hard.
thumbsup.gif
... that's going to be a nice home for your quail when you're done!

I got the lid built today and attached, but it was too dark by the time I was done to get pics. All I need now is to rig up a feeder and waterer and get the droppings board attached. Oh, and finish the coop!

Back
Top Bottom