Building my own coop

Sammy Sam

Songster
Dec 8, 2023
I’m trying to hurry to get the outside of the coop finished before the rain. It should start raining tomorrow and rain for the next 4 days. Waiting for the caulk to dry, so I can prime and paint. Then the last thing for today will be working on the nest box roof. For the siding I used what I had left over from other projects and what a pain pieces everything together! It was definitely a custom job, but wow did I make a dent in all the left over wood I had. I didn’t have a large enough piece of wood for the nest box area, so I used two pieces. I need to figure out how to make sure it doesn’t leak, between the two lids. Any ideas, besides buying a larger piece? lol! I’ll be using shingles on the nest box lid. Maybe I should just connect the pieces together? Total length of the lid is around 65”.

Attachments

• 6F79C826-C099-4FCE-BA5E-96017C878FD8.jpeg
    6F79C826-C099-4FCE-BA5E-96017C878FD8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
I’m trying to hurry to get the outside of the coop finished before the rain. It should start raining tomorrow and rain for the next 4 days. Waiting for the caulk to dry, so I can prime and paint. Then the last thing for today will be working on the nest box roof. For the siding I used what I had left over from other projects and what a pain pieces everything together! It was definitely a custom job, but wow did I make a dent in all the left over wood I had. I didn’t have a large enough piece of wood for the nest box area, so I used two pieces. I need to figure out how to make sure it doesn’t leak, between the two lids. Any ideas, besides buying a larger piece? lol! I’ll be using shingles on the nest box lid. Maybe I should just connect the pieces together? Total length of the lid is around 65”.
I know it is late in the game. You might consider putting access to the egg boxes from the side. I have the same general setup. The roof door is heavy. It also makes it difficult for little ones to help collect the eggs. At some point I will put the egg door(s) more like this.

Attachments

• 1704482736359.png
    1704482736359.png
    718 KB · Views: 14
I know it is late in the game. You might consider putting access to the egg boxes from the side. I have the same general setup. The roof door is heavy. It also makes it difficult for little ones to help collect the eggs. At some point I will put the egg door(s) more like this.
I thought of that opening too, but the upper opening is better for me, because of my back.

I'm not much of a builder and should probably stick to building trailers but a piece of angled roof flashing or capping screwed above the hinge point to deflect the water over it could work. Chuck a bit of silicone on it before you screw it on and it may work. Nothing like a weather deadline to hurry a job along 👍

I'm not much of a builder and should probably stick to building trailers but a piece of angled roof flashing or capping screwed above the hinge point to deflect the water over it could work. Chuck a bit of silicone on it before you screw it on and it may work. Nothing like a weather deadline to hurry a job along 👍
lol! Yeah, I just finished priming the new woods and that took forever! I don’t think I’ll get the painting done, but I do need to now start the nest box lid. Thanks.

Looks nice. Do you have some openings for ventilation? I don't see any.
Yes, opposite side of the front door, is a 9”x24” area and a vent. The front door will also have a “screen door” for the day time. The only ventilation will be the back vent for the evening. It’s about 12x12, will that be enough ventilation for the evening?

Yes, opposite side of the front door, is a 9”x24” area and a vent. The front door will also have a “screen door” for the day time. The only ventilation will be the back vent for the evening. It’s about 12x12, will that be enough ventilation for the evening?
You need 1 sq foot of permanent ventilation per bird.

Back
Top Bottom