Coop Evolution - Nests Iteration 4 to Front Roll Away style

The egg box cover is two 5 1/2 inch by 7 foot panels; one of 3/4" pine the other of door skin (1/8" ply board); joined together with 3 hinges. I added a 1"x1" to one edge of 1/8" panel for rigidity, strength and hinge mount space. Currently "dry fit" in place and working well.

Artificial grass cut & fit in place "perfectly"; every egg rolling under entrance to lowest point; no broken eggs thus far.

Egg box 1.jpg Egg box 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing, I've always loved your coop!! Glad this is working out, it's a great design. Question about the artificial grass: Do they peck at it, try to eat it? Mine are so in love with purple insulation and anything nonedible that I wonder how they'd react to the grass. I just made new nest boxes and I'd really like to try it.....

Thank you so much for sharing, I've always loved your coop!! Glad this is working out, it's a great design. Question about the artificial grass: Do they peck at it, try to eat it? Mine are so in love with purple insulation and anything nonedible that I wonder how they'd react to the grass. I just made new nest boxes and I'd really like to try it.....
Thank you.

This project evolved against the issues I had. I re-used the front red panel (my copy of @aart 's nest box - thank you) from my iteration 2, will extend it by 32" with 3 more round holes.

Yes there is some pecking, the same as they peck at the straw I previously used. I do not have enough experience to know if they will tear it apart and ingest, it is tough stuff but I will keep my eyes open.

It does not really show in the pictures but the way I built the roll out I can slide the rug in/out as one piece easily. Should encourage keeping it clean.

Plus 3 nest holes...

I continue to cut/fit pieces and sections and "dry fit" together. Below the front extension piece for 3 more nests, total of 7.

Also building nest dividers: will attach to back wall using two narrow 7' boards, horizontally top and bottom, with slots cut vertically; final assembly these will be attached before the red front pieces and front egg box.

On a happy note. In the past 3 days I have had about 25 eggs all laid left side of roll away - none broken, dented or eaten!

Plus 3 nest holes... 1.jpg Plus 3 nest holes... 3.jpg

Last edited:
I have had a few instances of eggs being eaten while in the new nests. I also have two pullets that sleep in the new nests and their waste will stop the egg from rolling.

I am moving these two from nests to roosts each evening until they are no longer in the nests.

Back
Top Bottom