Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by speckledhen, Sep 29, 2015.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've always wanted pawpaws! Do you think they'll grow well here? 9 years is a date!

I've been getting one egg a day, not counting Ro's days off on occasion when I got zero, for weeks and weeks. That's from, gosh, maybe 25 hens? I'll have to count again, can't remember exactly. We did have to buy about 3 dozen eggs, nasty expensive anemic eggs, because DH likes to eat 4 a day and when I eat them with him, that adds two. He's cut back but can't cut them out.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    What good old girls! None of my older (3-and-up) girls are laying right now, but I get a half dozen eggs each day from my 12 youngsters, pretty pullet eggs. The light brown one is from one of my 2 Delawares - they are really nice girls from Bargain. One is the bossiest hen I haveever seen, she growls at me whenever I upset her Queenliness :lol:

[​IMG]

3. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    If the three they planted in Gainesville grow well, they certainly should grow well there!! Gainesville might be a stretch on the hot weather, but if anyone can make them grow, it would be Dh's Aunt and Uncle.

The absolute most fantastic thing to me about paw paws is that they are native and you just gotta let them grow! No work necessary, unless you want to get your paintbrush out and help with pollination. They are an understory tree, so lots of shade is no problem and even preferred in their younger stages. Naturally, more sun=more fruit. And, get this, they tolerate black walnut trees!! Where nothing else will grow!!

Forgive me, I am a bit obsessed. I have about 3 lbs of paw paw in the freezer, maybe I should try to make some bread this weekend!

4. speckledhen

If I remember correctly, they taste a little like bananas, right? I'd love to have a few around here.

5. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Banana, mango, pineapple, to me! There is one cultivar that tastes more like mango. Making a mental note, if I come across any more out back, I will mark them and bring them to you if we ever go down that way again!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Fully ripe pawpaws last only a few days at room temperature, but may be kept for a week in the refrigerator. If fruit is refrigerated before it is fully ripe, it can be kept for up to three weeks, and can then be allowed to finish ripening at room temperature. Ripe pawpaw flesh, with skin and seeds removed, can be pureed and frozen for later use. Some people even freeze whole fruits.

Taken from:
    https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ksu-pawpaw/cooking.html

I just mashed it up and put it in ice cube trays, then popped them out into their own freezer bag. That way I don't have to use it all at once and can easily pop a cube or two into the blender with other fruit for a smoothie. :)

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, you can put about anything in a smoothie! :D

Did you make bread with them?

9. speckledhen

Interesting. I like mangoes, but I despise avocadoes. Texture alone can sure turn you off something, can't it? (though I also don't like the taste of avocadoes).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  10. DiamondSwan

DiamondSwan Overrun With Chickens

Sep 18, 2015
    Da Swan Pond
    If you tried guacamole chip dip you might change your mind! it's so addicting! I'm not a fan of avocados either, but guacamole...........yummmmm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by