Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
Is that the colors you picked? Looks like Sandstone and Tan, nice combo if it is. It's a nice lookin barn. Can't wait to see it all done. How long will it take to put it up?

Is that the colors you picked? Looks like Sandstone and Tan, nice combo if it is. It's a nice lookin barn. Can't wait to see it all done. How long will it take to put it up?
Should take one day to put up as soon as they get to it. I can order it as soon as the 19th (man is on his honeymoon until then, lol) and he said big jobs like this get put to the top of the pile over plain old carports so it could be 2 weeks and they'll be calling to see if we're ready for it.

No, it's supposed to be Clay on the body and Sandstone on the roof. For some reason, it rendered it different than the sample or other buildings I've seen. I think this building's body color is Clay, though the drawing is the way it will be configured, not like this. Clay is sort of a putty color, not gray and not brown, rather in-between:

Last edited:
That looks very nice

Thanks, I think so. Though I love a green roof, I think green soaks up heat, to a degree, much like chlorophyll in a plant leaf. When I repaint the nearest standing building, I may do a sage green with trim in that sandstone shade to go more with the new building. Or may just go with the exact same color scheme, but that won't be for awhile. We have a lot to do on this one to get the birds into it and it will take months and quite a few $$ more, even if we scavenge off the other building that will be torn down. I still have four birds on one side of that L-shaped building so can't completely remove all the stuff on it yet, not until I move that small group. That is little bantam Cochin rooster, Xander, Suede's last remaining hen, Dusty, and Rowena and Wendy, the late Rex's daughters.

Even up here I would hesitate to put a dark roof on an outbuilding. My house is yellow with a green roof and I like it, but the attic space gets very hot in the summer (not living space so not a big deal). I really like a green building with a white roof too, not sure if that would be a heat issue. My coops are yellow with white trim and scrap asphalt roofs, but insulated with that bubble wrap aluminum stuff.

Even up here I would hesitate to put a dark roof on an outbuilding. My house is yellow with a green roof and I like it, but the attic space gets very hot in the summer (not living space so not a big deal). I really like a green building with a white roof too, not sure if that would be a heat issue. My coops are yellow with white trim and scrap asphalt roofs, but insulated with that bubble wrap aluminum stuff.

Though green is my favorite color, I rather like the idea of that putty colored building blending into the wooded property, not just standing out, though a building of that size is hard to really hide. I definitely will get that bubble wrap insulation for the roof and may get the solid panel foam insulation with foil on both sides for the walls, but not sure on that part just yet. Much to be determined. My basement has those 4' long fluorescent fixtures that we both hate down there. DH wants to remove them and place two of them in the center aisle of the barn for lighting. I realize they will balk in super cold weather but it would be a way to save some $$ up front. If they fail us later, we could replace them.

My basement has those 4' long fluorescent fixtures that we both hate down there. DH wants to remove them and place two of them in the center aisle of the barn for lighting. I realize they will balk in super cold weather but it would be a way to save some $$ up front. If they fail us later, we could replace them.
Watch the flicker rate of older fluorescent ballasts...said to be detrimental to chicken eyes.

You know, SH, if Xander needs a place to stay while you're building, he could come up here and be the world's most spoiled house rooster! Custom chicken diapers and unlimited mealworms! He could perch on the recliner next to the woodstove and peck at the two cats when they walk by! :lol: (Can't blame me for trying - he is the cutest little rooster!)

Watch the flicker rate of older fluorescent ballasts...said to be detrimental to chicken eyes.
I didn't know that, thank you. Those are good ones, but I am not a fan of fluorescent, generally. Maybe one can go in the storage room since it will need light, too.

You know, SH, if Xander needs a place to stay while you're building, he could come up here and be the world's most spoiled house rooster! Custom chicken diapers and unlimited mealworms! He could perch on the recliner next to the woodstove and peck at the two cats when they walk by!
lol.png
(Can't blame me for trying - he is the cutest little rooster!)
LOL, he is an adorable little wind-up toy, isn't he?
lol.png

Jason called a few minutes ago. The equipment will be delivered around noon and he'll be along right afterward to do the pad for the barn. Pictures will be forthcoming, of course. Already, he's been a ton better at communication than the guy whose been working on our pasture for almost a blessed year. Good grief. He might get a move on if we text him that we're about to drive his dozer to a better location ourselves (or auction it on Ebay, lol).

ETA: It begins! Leveling the spot...

0.jpg

The granite dust/paver base needs to be wet down to pack down and settle and we need to do some work around the perimeter. Jason removed two stumps for us w/o it being requested, very nice guy, good communication, pleasure to work with. Pics are hard to really get a good grip on what it is like, just sitting there, but here they are with the pad ready for a metal frame. Remember, this is not a concrete pad, MUCH cheaper but will be a firm floor for the building. And there is a good pile of the paver base left to use for extra stuff around the perimeter. Will do a sort of french drain in the front to direct water around the barn but now, I need to wash my hair and take my hubby out to eat. We're bushed!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom