Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
My barn is being installed Friday morning!
wee.gif

YaY!!!
yippiechickie.gif

So glad you didn't have to wait those extra weeks!
Me, too! The interior will be slow going since the actual main barn drained my coffers quite a bit, but we haven't really figured out exactly what we want to do. Walls must be insulated, floor decided on and laid, furring strips attached to metal studs for putting up whatever will enclose the insulation; all the not-so-fun stuff before pens and loft can even go in. We also must make hinged hardware cloth screens to put over the five windows. I have one broody cage that is made with green plastic coated hardware cloth that may work for its panels to be used for that, but that only will cover two or three windows. Will have to figure out the rest.

Putting up a steel building allowed for much more area than we could afford in a wood building but there are special considerations in keeping a metal building dry. At least, this one will already have an insulated roof so we're ahead of the game on that front-no high wire acts for hubby there.

After leveling the perimeter and marking corners as requested:

Laying out the vapor barrier (will be taped at the joints) with thick black plastic found in my late dad's basement. I knew that stuff would come in handy. We do have clear 6 mil somewhere here, but not sure of the amount. May double up in the middle on that before the floor is put on it, not sure. It depends on how much is left on that roll in the crawl space of the house.

Last edited:
What's going over the vapor barrier?
Hmmm..why did I think the base 'gravel' was gong to be the floor?..<scratches head>

Back
Top Bottom