building paradise for the birds

Pics
Nice stuff.

Is this just a tarp roof....or is there something more substantial under the tarp?
It's a construction poly 10ml thick.I no longer use these as you can get 4 or 5 years from ,then they start to crumble.I use metal roofing on all pens now.In the long run they are much cheaper as they can last 30 years.Plus they keep the pens dry.
In N.H.,Tony.

Here's a kind step by step build of my new pens.Each pen is 8wx16dx10h.I have 5 complete and 4 more 70% complete.First I build the base 16x16,split in half to make 2 8x16,build another 16x16 7'10" from the first and then join them together,fill with 4"washed sand,Build 4x4 add live plants(which died),Frame out the pens,add wire and doors.and then the meatal roofing.As birds like to perch hi I built mine at 8' right at the base of the roof.This way the roof pitch keeps the drafts from getting to the birds.In the winter months I poly the top 4' of their pen and leave the bottom open.You want them to get good air flow all year especially in the winter so it doesn't screw up their courtship time and if you cover their entire pen it may trap in moister which builds up on the poly and them becomes moldy and bacterias grow.
In N.H.,Tony.

thanks again tony for all the good info...
here are some pics from today
the poly is going on tommarow over the tarp and then secured on

this is a silver golden pheasant....I believe there is two kinds of these birds...this one is one kind and tommarow when I move the other one I will take a pic of it as well and you can see the difference..this one has the silver ish/ light olive/yellowish legs/beak....the other one is noticeably an olive color...way darker then this bird

notice the feet like a silver ish color...compare the pic here with the one I will post tommarow...you will see for yourself...not very many people have these birds or any information on them...

same bird

notice the coloring of the legs/beak

Last edited:
thanks again tony for all the good info...
here are some pics from today
the poly is going on tommarow over the tarp and then secured on

this is a silver golden pheasant....I believe there is two kinds of these birds...this one is one kind and tommarow when I move the other one I will take a pic of it as well and you can see the difference..this one has the silver ish/ light olive/yellowish legs/beak....the other one is noticeably an olive color...way darker then this bird

notice the feet like a silver ish color...compare the pic here with the one I will post tommarow...you will see for yourself...not very many people have these birds or any information on them...

same bird

notice the coloring of the legs/beak

^ Nice looking bird!
big_smile.png

here an update on the coolerbator...got the chicken and pheasant egg trays for incubation yesterday...and I cut a chicken one to fit...and it holds 30 eggs...so here it is...

so now I will be working on the wiring for the coolerbator...be back in a flash

Are you going to turn the eggs manually?
under the mat there will be a 1 1/2" pvc pipe and it is like a teeter totter..will be up on one side and then you push it down to rotate the eggs manually

Got a fan?
got a fan with LED lights just havnt installed it...maybe ill get there tonight...still planning out my big incubator...have the rough draft down and the parts on order ...the order will be placed on Tuesday...so by Friday...I should have the small unit running and shortly after that I will have the big one running to make sure it works properly for the coming up season...

working on it .....hold your chickens.....hahaha lol

Back
Top Bottom