building paradise for the birds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by birdman55, Dec 4, 2014.

1. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    This picture is my inspiration a Northern open-air style coop
    [​IMG]
    Here is a 16 x 16' floorplan, I don't intend on this housing more than 50 birds ever...
    [​IMG]
    A slightly more human friendly plan at 20 x 16'
    [​IMG]
    A head on view that illustrates a bit of the venting. More venting will be both on the low and high side underneath the protective cover of the roofs overhang. The run area will also have a roof choosing the material for this is going to be difficult clear corrugated panels or high-quality greenhouse plastic or perhaps tin...
    [​IMG]
    Here's a doodle that illustrates some of the venting and shows an idea for putting a clear panel as a skylight in the roof...
    [​IMG]
    Overhead with run. The run is primarily for the winter in the summer my birds free range an exception to their free ranging in the summer is when predators are lurking around. I have some interesting seasonal challenges here an easy average for snowfall is 6 feet, summer temperatures as high as 45°C with winter lows of up to -45°C... It will be insulated, and I will run power to it.

Sorry picture heavy and long

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    was wondering two things on the pictures you have 96ft2....which im assuming is 8x12....and from what the pictures look like your going to have three separate coops in the one building correct....is the outside run separated into three sections or are they all together...?....looks like a great design tho...

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

My math skills...sigh... The exact square footage will not be the same as what I have calculated on the screen I will lose space because the walls with insulation etc.... The two deeper yellow spaces are supposed to be about 16 x 6 give or take... separation between all the interior rooms will be done with framed hard wear cloth...the run will be a single run ( my flock all hangs out together anyway ) but I will be able to separate them off if I ever have caused to. And yes it's all in one coop... I only keep chickens and ducks.

4. birdmansaunt

birdmansaunt New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    Hey Babe,

Looking at everything hope things are going well. My pair on newly hooded Mergansers are doing good so far. Have lead for Mandarin females. I have males for you. I will refugee any peacocks you don't want. Love ya, Aunt cindy

5. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

So, Birdman, you have your mom and aunt on here? thats so Awesome!!

6. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi Birdmansaunt,
    Do you have your mergansers on ice cold water?They love to dive also so it needs a little depth to it.My friend raised 21 youngsters this past season.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    I had a question about breeding pens I thought you might be able to answer, Birdman. First, I apologize if you've covered this question already in this thread; I'm recovering from some brain trauma from a car accident, so my memory isn't great & I have a hard time reading lots of text.

Do you have separate breeding pens for your birds or do you just keep your specific breeds separated year round in the pens like the ones you're currently building?

I ask because I might have the opportunity to start breeding a few breeds come summertime & I'm debating going with separate breeding pens from the main coops/pens or just staying with my plan of 1 coop/run sectioned off for each flock/breed. As I told you before, I'm super new to birds so I'm a little overwhelmed at the possible options & doing things the "right" way. Any advice would be most welcome!

9. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    yes...mom as birdmansmom, my dad as matrats, my aunt as birdmansaunt, and my other aunt as auntiemary

as for the corrugated fiberglass....or plastic or tin....I would go with the corrugated fiberglass....it will last you longer then anything...it wont rust...and it doesn't crack...it also lets in 85 percent light...I will take a pic of the greenhouse and what im talking about tomorrow for you and you can see the material...

the man in the post above you is a great breeder and has been breeding many breeds so im sure he could verify...(tony) everything is separated in pairs, trios, or quads...you wanna keep them separated otherwise you will get mixed breeds and some of their offspring will look very ugly and it wont be pure...or close to pure...like I know this amish lady and she bought a red golden pair and I was shown it..and lets just say that is one of the most ugly birds I have ever seen...I had to tell her that wasn't even close to red golden...so this season I am giving her some...she has given me great deals and many chickens...so im returning the favor...as for the pens...you can build a single big unit and have several small doors for the birds to go to in their separate runs or you can build them individually either way you are completing the same objective...so which ever fits your area...there is no real right way...there is only the way that works for you and the birds....\

well as for work done today...I got two out of the three coops netted over the top....ben doing things around the house to catch up...so not much work done today...on the good note....I got a bunch of wood dropped off today...so have been stacking wood like crazy...well goodnight for its 1am...and getting up at 5...have plenty to do for the new chickens that are about to hatch ...three days left...and the lockdown...so im locking down for some sleep....have a good night everyone

1 person likes this.
  10. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    In order to keep birds pure,they must be in their own cage at all times.Reds with reds,amherst with Amherst and so on.You can however keep all breeds of males together in a cage provided the cage is huge and no hens are with them or near them.
    In N.H.,Tony.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by