building paradise for the birds

Pics
well got half the back wall done and half the front wall done on the long wall and the doors cut out..i would have got more done but the egg man stopped over...and chatted for awhile and then the fridge guy called and said he had a fridge for me...so he came over and dropped it off....not bad for 20 bucks....

also got corid and a dewormer....getting another dewormer call valbazen...going to do a prep for the future of the birds and the breeding season
Great find on the fridge~Valbazen is fantastic. it gets some of the parasites other wormers dont.

The last statement just made me laugh.. and almost cry, how cold hearted, and disconnected. That's what got me started raising chickens again too :mad:
Ken Klippen of the National Association of Egg Farmers said California's egg law, in addition to driving up the cost at the grocery store and putting pressure on egg supplies, will result in more injuries to chickens because housing them in larger pens means they are more likely to run, breaking a leg or wing.
"You're not going to help the chicken," he said. "You're not helping consumers."
Consumers will be the ones suffering most, of course since now that dozen eggs just got really expensive! I will keep my prices down, but equal to the nasty store eggs for sure. I have free range chickens, some are 24/7. We eat the excess roosters, and I sell a lot of excess eggs too. I have so many eggs during the summer, I even donate to the food bank, offer some for school "hatching" programs. Healthy happy birds produce healthier eggs. Those poor animals, never being able to run or flap a wing! Yes we eat some of our birds. They have had a full happy life before they have that 1 bad day. Thats the #1 reason I raise my own food, I want to know that animal was treated with respect. OK off my soapbox :old
:thumbsup X2 DH likes your pics on the builds!

Totally agree... I like to know my birds... And my eggs cost more because I treat my birds well... Good food is food that comes from plants or animals that were treated properly grown or raised the best way possible... Naturally and without cruelty.

well day 15 and you can see the coolerbator works....great....I first put water in but now I have stopped going more towards the dry approach and when lockdown comes I will add water again...the airsacs look normally bigger now so not to much or to little humidity...so on the 13/14th we shall be having chicks....got everything from the feed store today for the brooder...will be getting that ready...as for productivity on the coops...nothing happened today...today was a run around day...and will be cleaning the fridge and start taking measurements and building that soon...bit by bit...the top part I am going to use as the first stage brooder...and then from there they go into there second stage brooder...and the net is a great net iv used for the chickens and pheasants...cutlersupply.com has it....and the worming and corid....I will be dosing all the birds...for the breeding season...I want them to be healthy as can be...healthy birds mean healthy eggs...and hopefully they hatch...speaking of hatching...I took out three of the chicken eggs in the incubator that didn't seem to be growing cracked them open and sure enough nada...nothing...so down to 27 still not bad..if they all hatch...however there is two more that is questionable because of how dark they are...so well see and ill keep you updated on everything I do...including dosages...see you tommarow
birdman

........and will be cleaning the fridge and start taking measurements and building that soon...bit by bit...the top part I am going to use as the first stage brooder...and then from there they go into there second stage brooder........
GREAT idea!!!

Don't forget,after you worm them you need to repeat worming 10 days later to kill the cycle.
In N.H.,Tony.

well day 15 and you can see the coolerbator works....great....I first put water in but now I have stopped going more towards the dry approach and when lockdown comes I will add water again...the airsacs look normally bigger now so not to much or to little humidity...so on the 13/14th we shall be having chicks....got everything from the feed store today for the brooder...will be getting that ready...as for productivity on the coops...nothing happened today...today was a run around day...and will be cleaning the fridge and start taking measurements and building that soon...bit by bit...the top part I am going to use as the first stage brooder...and then from there they go into there second stage brooder...and the net is a great net iv used for the chickens and pheasants...cutlersupply.com has it....and the worming and corid....I will be dosing all the birds...for the breeding season...I want them to be healthy as can be...healthy birds mean healthy eggs...and hopefully they hatch...speaking of hatching...I took out three of the chicken eggs in the incubator that didn't seem to be growing cracked them open and sure enough nada...nothing...so down to 27 still not bad..if they all hatch...however there is two more that is questionable because of how dark they are...so well see and ill keep you updated on everything I do...including dosages...see you tommarow
birdman

yes sir...copy that...10. 4. ....i found out the dosing with alot of research...and will be posting how much i give them with pics to go with it....i want this thread to be very informative especially with pictures to go with it...something about showing pictures really helps some people....hope your saving me a tragopan pair this year...im going to get them instead of the silvers....im going to get another pair...and switch them so they are not related...I guess people say its hard to get fertility with them cause they are so heavily inbred...I plan on doing something real cool with their coops...im designing them as we speak...the inside coop will be wrapped in concrete...almost like rocks and plants will be put on there in certain divots...well im looking forward to the new coming hatch of chickens...as you see they are going to be peeping themselves out soon...I got lexan plexi for the top and bottom of the fridge...cleaning the fidge tonight and installing the mini brooder tomorrow sometime..and then the building begins of the fridgebator...lol....im going to call it the crisper...lol...now that's a name for it....hahahaha...so got the blades to cut the wholes and maybe tonight I will cut the wholes and install who knows...but it is freezing out here....I don't know how your bowls don't freeze tony...mines frozen solid so I have been emptying them every night now...im so getting the heated dishes...so much easier...worming the chickens with safeguard goat dewormer at 2 1/3 tablespoons for one gallon....I mix half the solution and then the other half after lunch and the forty chickens I have drink it all up before nightfall...tomorrow will be day three...im going to worm to day six and then switch to valbazen at .2 cc per chicken....and that should do it...im also putting in corid starting tomorrow...I will post how much of that I am using...I guess it is safe to use both products together...so I shall see you peeps tomorrow with some pics...and some progress....

on another note...two days ago the water well pit froze....and yesterday the well sub pump frozen and there was foot and a half of water not frozen which I had to drain out....and yesterday was not such a good day....so I guess that's my third bad in a row....so now for some good....lol...hopefully...

night everyone

well the top part and bottom was cleaned...the top is going to have three bulbs...one small bulb and two larger bulbs..the small bulb will be on all the time...and the big bulbs will turn on and off on a temp sensor...going to have a 10 by 14 cut into the door...and there will be holes drilled...all of this is getting done tonight...cause there will be baby chickens in it soon...this will give me motivation to finish the bottom as well...also the whole unit will be cleaned and bleached a second time...but not a bad pick for 20 bucks...

a before pic of how it looks like before the work is done...

the two sections that you can see with all the horizontal lines.....this will be were I put in the lexan piece to view...I am also getting two more inside temp/ humidity meters...im not sure how I want to design the lighting in this..but there will be a couple small lights in here that will remain on so I can see....this is one of those...well maybe ill do this type of thing...im totally winging this one

well the front wall is wired up and the doors are cut out....and the first pen on the right is halfway put up...had to stop to cut wood for the doors so I have something else to do...I need to get this done

another view from today before night

talk about snow...wow....so you can see the unit in the left corner that has four pens in it...today was filled with moving snow so I could work...

picture of the peafowl after work before dark

doing the one leg dance...saying man is it cold outside...im sick of this cold and snow....man I have the same thoughts

well the wood for the three doors and ofcourse you see the pine shavings for the new chicks...I was wondering how putting an inch of sand it there instead of the chips if it would be better...anyone have experience with using sand in brooders....

well that's an update for today...as you see im still moving forward...im moving at a rate of the ice...about 10% daily...well better something getting done then nothing I guess....so here are some pics of the birds I might be getting still not sure if I want to get them...

the adult white peacock in the picture a couple above was injured in his face...he got into a fan....I do want these birds they would be a great addition to the birds...im just scared to get the birds from the 80 year old guy that im sure doesn't take care of them that well....any thoughts.....?

well that's all for the day...see you guys tommarow

You probably have the facilities to quarantine them, you could rescue them from his miss-management... Maybe don't include them in any breeding programs you have... Unless you find in time they are healthier than you thought...

When my "blue prints" are finished for my coop could I get your thoughts on my design?

Last edited:
You probably have the facilities to quarantine them, you could rescue them from his miss-management... Maybe don't include them in any breeding programs you have... Unless you find in time they are healthier than you thought...

When my "blue prints" are finished for my coop could I get your thoughts on my design?
anytime im always on here for help, and to learn from experienced breeders

Back
Top Bottom