building paradise for the birds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by birdman55, Dec 4, 2014.

1. auntie mary

auntie mary Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    The little chicks are so so cute

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Gratz on the chics birdman. I love the pics of your hens hanging out in the snow. I would be putting jumpers on mine if I lived in the snow and I would never leave the house :lol: It's 38c here today and 87% humidity. I just could not imagine the type of weather you have over there.

3. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    Trust me, you don't want to know about it. Its been cold enough up here that it hurts your face when you step outside. sometimes just like somebody taking a 2x4 right to it. Oh and yeah, your boogers freeze inside of your nose, and then there's shrinkage.

4. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    well still hatching....1am one is iffy...had to help it...and lost one to malposition...I popped off the air cap side...and it was down all the way on the other end...I figured it would do the rest because it had air....nope...I took alook inside and it was no longer chirping...so tommarow ill be taking the eggs apart...I took some out that didn't look developed...still hoping for 50 percent hatch...I need to get better at hatching..i don't wanna have these numbers with hatching my pheasants and peafowl...it needs to be 75 percent and I will be happy with that...hatcheries are around 85 percent I believe...hope I can get there...

5. matrats

matrats New Egg

Dec 4, 2014
    Kris just to let you know, Bill the guy with the peafowls came in dealership today and wanted to now if you wanted the birds and i said i would get ahold of you ! i showed him your birds on here! let me know and i can call him!

6. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    thought I would give an update...15 chicks hatched and one still trying....so right now 50 percent hatch rate....not to bad...I guess..i havnt taken the eggs apart yet to see what all went on inside...here are some pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    well here are the chicks..there doing great...great legs and everything....there is one tho...that we will have to cull and I don't know what im going to do...I feel so bad...it don't have an eye and the beak doesn't close properly....its the one in the last pic....below the silver one....the future cull bird is white....im not the killer im the raiser...man this hurts to even think about....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  7. birdmansmom

birdmansmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Great job kiddo! I'm so excited to be a grandma 15 times!!! Love you, Mom

8. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    oh man you know what this means.....another coolerbator....and still to build the fridgebator....aka "the crisper"
    well last one is zipping like crazy...its 1am...and im tired but prolly only an hour left...
    [​IMG]
    the new coolerbator...this one will be very quick to build now that I have built the first one...I cant wait...
    [​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ooooo all those chickies!! Giving me the hatching bug big time...I've got a broody out there...hmmm...

Culling stinks....but it's part of the game.
    Very sharp bypass pruners, do it sooner rather than later, get it over with.

10. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    Much better hatch rate then mine!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by