building paradise for the birds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by birdman55, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]Metal roofing works great.Always dry inside the pens.
    In N.H.,Tony.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Luckily the land my run is on is fairly sandy and slightly sloped...so it dries out pretty quickly after being saturated...but man it stinks when wet.

I still have to dig a small trench to direct water to flow where I want it to flow thru the run because there is nowhere else for the water coming off the driveway to go during a heavy rain and/or spring thaw....and the chickens will re-arrange that trench for me regularly, so it has to be redug.

It sounds like you need to raise the level of the land in your run, this might be done with sand and side boards to keep it from moving out of the run area.....depends tho on the slope of land around the run and what building roofs and/or non permeable surfaces are nearby to contend with.

3. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    like everyone else has posted I would do sand as well..when the snow melts...I will have a dump truck drop a load of sand and everypen that I have now is getting four to six inches

no quail at the moment...but am getting some...and I do know people that have them or can get them....so let me know how fast you want them and what kind you want and I shall ask around

4. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    how them chicks doing misfitmorgan....hope the birds are quiet now for you

5. misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Ordure Heir

Nov 20, 2014
    Mikado, Mi
    Your chicks are doing great....the frizzle cochin i got your chicks to keep company died. i think he got to cold cause he was the only one in the brooder and he couldnt get close enough to the light. i modified the brooder and put the light about 4 inches off the floor in one corner so they can get close to it if they want....i made a stand out of 1/4 hardware cloth so the light cant fall in as it sits on the stand and is clipped on the side of the brooder to be double secured. We got home the night we picked up the chicks from you and he was dead...i think the cochin size, single chick, and light distance was just a mix he/she couldnt over come. The 3 i got from you are very happy and are all chirpy in the day time...eatting good and drinking plenty of water. i also noticed 2 of the 3 chicks have muffs comming in.

In other sad news i had late stage death on 5 of the muscovy eggs....2 were still alive last night but didnt absorb the yoke and died in shell, i checked on them today and found them dead. The incubator temp being set wrong for so long of their incubation was to much....one was malformed like your little guy, 1 eye crooked beak. So i will have to try again on the muscovy eggs if the other eggs come out good,if not i will shut down the incubator until closer to spring.

Thank you again for the chicks birdman, i have another frizzle who may or may not be affected by the low incubator temp. He/she was on day 13 when i found out about it. Hopefully it will hatch and can go in with your chicks.Day 21 is tomorrow for him/her.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  6. birdmansmom

birdmansmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Hey, how's things going today? It's about 38 degrees out in cloudy Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Just FYI-there are quail for sale, birdman, not to far from our house on craigslist. Even though we are originally from Illinois and die-hard Bear fans, we're getting ready to watch the Packers and Seahawks. Hopefully, the Pack can pull off a win today--GO PACK GO!!!

7. birdmansaunt

birdmansaunt New Egg

Dec 6, 2014
    WOW birdmansmom Packers are winning.

The chicks look good. Hope things are going well.

Love ya,

Aunt Cindy from lovely Illinois.

8. auntie mary

auntie mary Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    Hey birdman it was nice talking to you dont forget me come spring with some little chicks. Have a good evening Love You from Illinois

9. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    JINX!! [​IMG]

10. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    sorry to hear about your losses..hope everything goes well....

here are some pics of the chicks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by