building paradise for the birds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by birdman55, Dec 4, 2014.

1. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    I just cant do it...I will let nature do its thing...ol boy has survived this long so he can prolly eat and drink by himself...he will make it to freezer camp tho...well out to the coops to do work....just got back home not to long ago...have a great day everyone

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You guys have to remember the cold weather effects breeding so you are lucky you are getting them at 50%.If your getting 50%now,come spring time you'll be close to 95% or better..Then you will learn to shut your incubator off for the winter when you have 500 chicks around.I learned my lesson hatching button quail thru the winter.Never again.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    tony...im going to be a breeding machine this year...don't forget to save me a pair of temminicks...don't they need more requirements then most pheasants....ie grass, rocks and such...gotta be prepared...

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You got it.Hopefully I get a few this year.She only laid 4 eggs and then went to setting on them.I was hoping she would lay 5,and the male would set on them and then she laid 5 more and she started setting like the year before,but that didn't happen.Same as most pheasants,but rocks and stumps keep them happy as they love to sit up hi and look around.
    How about some lewis silvers?You can get them now.I have 3 pairs left.Adults in pics.and my temminck male breeder.
    In N.H.,Tony.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I use valbazen now 2x a year on all the birds. It does cover roundworm too, I am soo very sorry she is ill.

6. birdman55

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    she is all good now and back in with her flock....doing great

7. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Hey, I just found you in the Michiganders, do you have any quail??
    I built a quail pen last year and then the eggs didn't go so well, I'm looking for some fertiles to try it again but would like to find something closer that perhaps I can go pick up myself and save the post-office mishandling.
    Hope to hear back, I'm in Munger. Only got a few chickens right now but have some new babies on order for early April.

8. Ilene

Ilene Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2013
    I have 7 hens with a coop, an attached run and a chunnel leading from the run to a protected area of my yard.
    My problem is the rain. I notice many people do not cover their run. When it rains, I have an inch of water in my run.
    How do you and everyone else handle the rain?

9. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    It is probably a low spot in your yard, so you need a bunch of dirt or sand to pile up in the run to make it a higher spot in the yard, that way the water will stream out of the run. You could also put a tarp over your run when it rains, but just building the ground up higher might be easier to do than always having to put on the tarp before a rain. [​IMG]

10. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Like MinxFox said.... raise the level of your run.... depending on how much run you have... But I have seen a couple of things done... The best by far is filling it up to about five or six inches of river sand... With a border of wood around it to keep it in. It still gets damp but you wont have standing water.... And being sand The water drains away.... I used to buy it five yards at a time from a gravel and sand company for my horse's corral. pretty cheap when delivered by dump truck.

But the different sizes of granuals in river sand or construction sand are perfect for chickens...

here is a calculator for top soil.... http://www.kelenytopsoil.com/howmuchdoineed.html

[​IMG]

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by