Building run in garden area that had d-CON bait station

RooRoo523

Chirping
Jun 27, 2023
East Tennessee
Hey y'all! I am currently wanting to build a run in a garden area. My chickens are 7 weeks old. I have two questions:

I have a raised metal garden bed (4x8) full of strawberry plants and a three sided pallet compost bin in this area. I noticed rats hanging around the compost bin so I put out a d-CON bait station about a month ago. If I remove the compost heap and visible remains of the poison will my chickens be alright??? The ingredients listed on the d-CON are: Corn Gluten Meal (47%), Carrageenan, Tricalcium Citrate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soybean Oil (5%), Wheat Flour

Second question: I would like to remove the metal sides from the strawberry bed and build the run over the existing strawberry plants and let the chickens have the area to eat all of the berries, plants, and ants. Basically, let them compost it all down. I have not used any chemicals on this bed. I did sprinkle some DE in there at the beginning of May. This bed is in its second year. Would this work?

Thanks!

Ok, I have removed the compost and the compost bin, took out the sides of the metal bed. Pulled up all of the landscape fabric and staples. Picked all of the ripe strawberries for my chickens. Left a crepe myrtle bush inside the half that will be their run to provide some shade. I have built the frame of a metal coop I got from Amazon. The "strawberry bed" is still there in the middle. I will start covering the entire structure with hardware cloth this week. Hopefully by the weekend I will have the chickens out of my basement!

Back
Top Bottom