Building things for your chicken / coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SuperLuke, Aug 7, 2014.

1. SuperLuke

SuperLuke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Any thing you build to entertain your chickens? Or for other reasons? List them all below!!!!!

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    ladder in the coop for roosting
    a seed treat block in the winter
    lots of treats in the summer: vegetables galore, watermelon on hot days
    I sprout sunflower seeds in the winter for both nutrition, orange yolks, and entertainment
    various items in the run: old tire to perch on, cages and saw horses, etc
    cabbage is a good one to combat boredom

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have snack stations to distract them from escaping to the neighbors. (that plus lots of fencing)
    Extra roosts around the yard, dust bins, set up a dirt/straw zone under a snowmobile trailer, lots of healthy snacks before and after work, saw horses, and lilies...they entertain themselves by plucking each pedal off one by one.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Ladders
    Roosts
    Wheelbarrow with dirt
    Leaves
    Hanging treats
    Mint
    Marigolds
    Mirrors
    Stumps

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Only thing I built was a box for a dust bath. A few times a week I give my flock a box with a prepared dust bath of sphagnum peat, sand, and DE. That usually keeps them entertained for at least an hour.

1 person likes this.
  6. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thats a good one and something I think many people over look! I also have an black plastic tub that is aprox 4 ft by 1.5 by 2 ft deep that I keep a combination of dirt and wood ash in. During the winter, I bring this into the coop for dust baths-a faovrite past time for the nasty snowy cold days!!! (My coop is aprox 14 ft x 22 ft so plenty of space-if smaller, I would place a small rubber maid tub secured into place for the same purpose)

ETA: DE=Wood ash Sorry not sure whyI put that I no longer use DE except for light sprinkle in nest boxes due to it losing its effectiveness if damp/wet at all/

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I have several levels, ladders, ramps, mirrors, old towels, even an old set of plastic measuring spoons! (my chicks love these things....adults won't play with them.) Oh, and chicks love the old towels laid down too. Just make sure anything you leave down for them can't be eaten. :)

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Here's a few ideas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've been given some really good suggestions by the other members. For dust bathing, I recommend a flat box with wood ash in it. The chickens love it and the wood ash is more effective than dirt at keeping them free from lice, mites, and other pests. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC chickens also like swings, brightly colored small balls they can push or chase. Hanging cabbage balls. As a special treat around holidays they can clean off a turkey or chicken carcass in no time. I mention holiday, generally cold weather, so the turkey etc. won't get rancid.

You can also get Kong toys for small dogs and fill with peanut butter or other favorites and let the chickens work to get it out. They also love meal worms and crickets. Or if you shovel up a clump of sod and turn it dirt side up for them to explore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by