Built a 10x12' coop from scratch

Quote:
Although I could be wrong, it appears from the pic that the concrete slab is only a couple inches higher than the exterior soil. Building codes require a minimum of 6 inches from soil to wood, in this case, your siding and the bottom of the framed wall. Concrete is actually porous and can absorb moisture. Through capillary action it can wick up to the wood. If you have a heavy downpour water could pool up quickly around the perimeter, especially rolling off the roof. Gutters will certainly help. Hopefully it is actually higher than it appears, if not, I'd suggest digging back a bit and creating a natural drainage route for the water to go away from the building. Try to prevent any moisture from entering the building. It's a nice building, so protect it as well as you can, should last many years
smile.png

Quote:
Although I could be wrong, it appears from the pic that the concrete slab is only a couple inches higher than the exterior soil. Building codes require a minimum of 6 inches from soil to wood, in this case, your siding and the bottom of the framed wall. Concrete is actually porous and can absorb moisture. Through capillary action it can wick up to the wood. If you have a heavy downpour water could pool up quickly around the perimeter, especially rolling off the roof. Gutters will certainly help. Hopefully it is actually higher than it appears, if not, I'd suggest digging back a bit and creating a natural drainage route for the water to go away from the building. Try to prevent any moisture from entering the building. It's a nice building, so protect it as well as you can, should last many years
smile.png

Ah, gotcha. Yep, the pictures don't show it very well, but there is a slight slope towards the back of the coop, and behind that a decent hill for runoff to go down into the woods. Husband just did the last of the leveling and grading on the sides today (had a tractor issue that delayed us). In hindsight, we would have done taller concrete or perhaps blocks. Steps that we took to mitigate given the budget are using pressure treated wood at the bottom of the walls (what comes into contact with the concrete), used Hardiplank instead of plywood, and sealed the concrete with 2 coats of sealant. Very good points and I'm grateful for your input - thank you!
smile.png

My husband can't plan, and cuts things forever at angles, and nothing ends up quite right...Lol. But he's a whiz with electricity.

Back
Top Bottom