Built a 10x12' coop from scratch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cjstanman, Nov 28, 2010.

1. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    Yep, we are officially nuts, ha ha! I finally gathered pics and details and posted them on my page. (Didn't want to post the whole thing twice, figured I would just post the link to my page.)

Note: I'm trying to go back and add details as I remember and am having a couple of glitches with the page. But for the most part it's there. :p Also, in case you're wondering, we've got 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Easter Egger (black chicken of unknown origin who lays green eggs), 10 Delawares, 1 turkey neck chicken, 1 blue laced red Wyandotte, 1 light Brahma and 1 Plymouth Rock.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    wow!!! fantastic!!!! [​IMG]
  3. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Really nice - send Hubby on down to me!
  4. mom2to

mom2to Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    [​IMG] AWESOME! great job
  5. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice building. Hope it doesn't rain much where you live [​IMG]
  6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    That is really good - I built my 8x10 this past spring. It was not nearly as nice as yours!

The only advice I would give is on the pop door. If it doesn't close & lock raccoons & other night critters will find their way in & gobble up your birds. Trust me I learned this the hard way.

Since you have already made such a large investment - a little more might be worth looking into. I added an automatic door to mine. I love it - I can keep the darn rooster locked up in the morning until everyone is awake & I don't have to go out after dark to close it up.

I have not lost a chicken since I installed the door!
    1 person likes this.
  7. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    Thanks, everyone! Liamm_1, what do you see that we should be aware of regarding rain? I forgot to mention in the post that we are almost done putting up gutters. [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Great job! Hubby gets high marks. Thanks for the Home Depot info.......Pop
  9. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Congratulations on a job well done.
  10. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010