1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Built a brooder for my first hatch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by griffin45, Oct 15, 2008.

1. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    I just finished our brooder the other day and we've got our chicks in it. I put an extra light in it but I don't need it. It is 23" x 46" x 23" deep. It is split in the middle with a sliding door that is adjustable for the opening. It has an inline thermostat and 2 25watt bulbs. I want to put a window in it, and a door on the unheated side. the bottom is hardware screen, 3/4"slats, then aluminum flashing. Its working great and holding 90 degrees with no problem.

[​IMG]

2. griffin45

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    another picture of the inside this time!
    [​IMG]

3. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Very nice! It looks like you're in Business! Those babies are so cozy, they're not gonna want to grow up!
    How many chicks do you have? Thats a nice sized brooder, so you can have plenty in there for quite a while, but they sure do grow quick!!
    Have fun!
    Tina

4. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    good lookin brooder, how many birds you got in there?

5. griffin45

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    We have seven birds presently with 18 eggs in the LG. They are on day 18. Last day for turning today. I am in the process of building my own incubator. Started it today and hope to finish it tomorrow. I'll be posting pics in the hatching section later.

6. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    veryyyyyyyyyyyy nice brooder [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by