Built a Catawba Coop (pics)

psrumors

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Bought the plans and built one, well two actually. A friend and I built two at the same time. I wanted to make sure we wanted chickens and the wife would not object too them. Now she is ready for a full on flock. She fell in love with the RIR and Black Star immediately. We put another RIR and Americana up in my friends coop till my bigger coop is finished.

It took us right at 10 hours including the trip to Home Depot. They went together well. I don't think you would cut the time down much by building one and I don't think time would have increased much to build three. We cut all the wood at once and then started assembling.

These are really neat tractors and would be great for an urban enviroment. Of course that is what they are intended for. There are a couple changes I would make on the next one but all in all very impressive coops. The instructions are phenomenal and very well put together.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

WOW! Great job. I saw the plans for these, they looked wonderful. I wish it was how we did our first coop, then maybe I wouldn't have had to push my husband to build a second one!
lol.png

Thanks guys.

I used all new wood as that was the quickest and easiest. It was right at $175.

I do not plan on raising it up, access is not bad at all.

I will be adding a roost to the bottom section as all the girls want to do all day is sit up top and on the roost.

I was looking at the plans for this coop. How does one clean it out weekly? Do you hose it out? I didn't quite see from the pictures or the actual website, are you suppose to fill up the upstairs area with pine shavings or something?

Thanks in advance and have a great day and God bless.

-kelly

Back
Top Bottom