Built my Brooding Box - pics

Dornes

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
South Western WI
Eeep. I am so excited that my chicks are going to be here this week. Today DH and I went out and purchased supplies and I just built my brooding box. I love it! The chicks are going to love it too, I hope. When I was at the feed mill, they had baby ducks, geese, turkey, and chicks (today was delivery day) and they were so stinkin adorable and peeping so loudly. I can't wait for mine to show up this week!

Heres my brooding box that I built. I got a 105qt clear tote from the store and then used 1x2's and hardware wire for the lid. I cut the lid of the box (oops cut to far too!) with the saw and then used the 1x2s to sandwich the wire inbetween and fasten it all to the lid. The lid does fasten because I am not too sure how keen my house kitties are going to be on the idea of baby chicks running around in the crate, so I thought a lid that fastens would be best! I am going to paint the wood white I think this afternoon!

I also got a warming light with red bulb, thermometer (it was for an incubater, but that is all they had... what do you all use???), crumble, pine shavings and the feeders. All ready for babies to move in!

I really enjoyed looking at you alls pictures of your brooders too!

IMG_2104 by mgdk05, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great job! You will be surprised how quickly they grow. I'm about to put my second batch of chicks in the coop this weekend. Good luck with the babies when they arrive!
love.gif

Great Brooder! Isn't this such an exciting time? I just got my chicks a little over an hour ago and am so EXCITED
celebrate.gif
Good Luck with your chicks
jumpy.gif

Very exciting! I just added my heat lamp and have it going to so I can see how high it needs to be to maintain the right temps.

I also just got shipping notification from Meyer! I am getting my babies tomorrow!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom