Bulb Failure = Failed Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jywel417, May 14, 2011.

1. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Hey Guys,

Sometime in the middle of the night Thursday my bulb in my incubator died. Go figure, Friday morning i woke up late so forgot to check the incubator before going to work, came home at 1 for lunch and the incubator was down to 79 degrees so I put a new bulb back in and it got back up to temp before I went back to work. The eggs were due to hatch on Friday the 20th, and I had just candled and everyone was developing on schedule. Do you think I have a bator full of dead eggs now? It would have been less than 12 hours w/o a bulb but still, just wanted an opinion from the professionals. I am temped to just leave everything in the bator til this weekend to see if I get anything to hatch just in case but wanted to know what everyone thought about my chances. Thanks guys!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You may have lost 1 or 2 but you don't start seeing real losses till they are cold around 24 hours.

3. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    okay, awesome! I have hatched quail eggs before but this is my first real attempt at chicken eggs and was so excited that I had 38 of 40 that had developed on time then this happened. Thanks !!!!

4. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    no wories the inside the eggs take longer to cool off thats its not too low tem i think you will be fine candle right b4 lockdown and diference them from what u saw last time u candle and the day u locking down most must be fine and ready to hatch...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by