Bulb question. Please help. :)

Ravenna

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
SLO County, California
Hello!

I'm a newbie to BYC and I'll be a new chicken mommy this week!
big_smile.png
I'm so excited about my new fluffer n' honeys! I'll be getting 15 silkies (I caught their magic spell!)

I'm setting up my brooder and I bought a 150 w reptile basking spot lamp bulb (then later see in tiny print it provides uva rays). It seemed VERY bright and lit the entire brooder up; however, got the heat to 95 degrees (I'm using a 45 gallon Rubbermaid). I've read everywhere that one should use a red bulb, but some people I spoke to personally said the red makes them lethargic and regular light is better.

Would this type of bulb be harmful to the chicks due to it being for reptiles, uva rays and a strong basking light (I read a lot of people also use reptile lights as well, I'm just afraid of standard bulbs due to fire risks) they will be in my garage and I live in California, so the weather is nice.
big_smile.png
Any help is much appreciated as they will be here Thursday or Friday.

REd is used especially when the chicks peck at each other.

I'd just watch them closely and change it if there were problems.

I"m no expert though.

I have always used plain soft white light bulbs. ALOT cheaper and get the job done.

I start with a 75 watt and work my way down in wattage as the chicks get older. As long as they have plenty of space you shouldn't have a problem with pecking.

Matt

I see no reason red would make them lethargic. What can make them lethargic very easily is being too hot.

I don't think the red light makes them lethargic. I do think it allows them to sleep more deeply though. I've used both lights and I definitely prefer the red. Also, with the red if any of the chicks gets pecked and blood is drawn it is supposed to be harder for the other chicks to see the blood, the whole red on red thing.

Sounds like the bulb you got is meant for reptiles that in nature would be sitting out in the bright sunlight.

I wouldn't want to expose my chicks to that kind of light 24/7.

If it was me, I'd go exchange that bulb for a RED reptile bulb. I just think the red light is calming. Mine ran around and played, ate, scratched, roosted, dust bathed, learned to fly. All the things healthy happy chicks do without the pecking and fighting.

Good luck with your new fluffies. It is a joy to watch them grow.

I used a reptile heating bulb that mimicked daylight some of the time, but not the spotlight basking kind. I do think the chicks slept better under red, but otherwise no difference. They slept under both.

Red is good to prevent pecking, especially if one has a bloody spot.

Yes, I would start to worry if my peeps started to grow scales and a tale instead of feathers. ;o

Thank you for the advise.
big_smile.png
I see can see why red is better.

Back
Top Bottom