Bulge under hens beak.......any thoughts on how to proceed

chitownhens

Songster
Jan 23, 2016
This hen was recently loaded with mites. I didn't notice until I picked her up and she had lost quite a bit of weight. The fact that she is skittish but I was able to pick her up was another clue which led to the discovery of the mites. She was eating normal in fact she was gulping down food.

Got rid of the mites with poultry dust but now I notice the bulge under her beak and she is not eating much. Any thoughts on what to do. I could just leave it and see what happens but I'm also willing to take action if necessary. I have read in other threads that sometimes a bulge is a cyst that needs to be lanced but I am unsure. She is gulp a little bit with some brown stuff in her mouth. Could be blood or more then likely some liver she ate yesterday.

Here is a picture of her this morning. Tail is up so that's a good sign.

IMG_3023.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG

Does the bulge feel lumpy and solid? Or is it soft and pliable? It doesn't look like anything more than loose skin in your photo.

Your hen appears to be feeling unwell, though. The dark liquid in her mouth may indicate a crop disorder. Does her breath smell sort of like sauerkraut?

What does her poop look like?

Poop looked normal, breath does smell a little and the bulge has a firm feel too it. I tried massaging it a little and also gently squeezing it.

Logic would tell me this might be related to the mite issue that was treated with the medicated dust but only a guess as she was normal before the mite issue.

Crop disorders can be associated with other issues. It really doesn't matter. It could be caused by the hit her immune system took from the mite infestation or from something else. I suggest you verify the presence of a crop issue by checking it first thing in the morning. If it's still full and squishy after a full night, it will need treatment.

The bulge under the lower beak needs more examination. Can you get a closeup photo of the lump? Does it seem to be inside or is it a lesion you can see and feel the contours of on the surface of the tissue?

IMG_3034.JPG
IMG_3035.JPG
IMG_3037.JPG
IMG_3039.JPG
It has zero to do with her crop. Her crop is empty and there are no crop issues.

The bulge happened over night after the mite medication. I am asking specifically about the bulge under her beak. It is pressing up on the inside of her mouth on the right side pushing her tongue over to the left side. This makes it difficult for her to swallow and if she can't swallow she can't eat or drink very well.

I am asking about the bulge if someone knows how it might be related to the mites or medication issue and how to resolve the bulge in the meantime if possible. Of course it could resolve itself in a day or so but I'm not sure she can hang in there. She is a very strong hen the others would have been gone by now.

That right side of the inner mouth is swollen up.

I am guessing the bulge could be an air sac that's become inflamed. Take a sterilized needle and insert it very shallowly at the edge of the bulge. If it's an air sac, the air should be released and you will likely hear it. Treatment for airsacculitis is an antibiotic for respiratory illness.

If it remains swollen, you can tube feed her by inserting a thin syringe directly into her esophagus at the right side of her throat. Mix a watery mixture of raw egg and yogurt and it will easily squirt into her crop. You can also get a tube feeding kit from most vets for a couple dollars.

I am guessing the bulge could be an air sac that's become inflamed. Take a sterilized needle and insert it very shallowly at the edge of the bulge. If it's an air sac, the air should be released and you will likely hear it. Treatment for airsacculitis is an antibiotic for respiratory illness.

Thanks for that I tried this morning with a syringe but of course was hesitant in going to deep because it's not something I have done before and of course we don't want to cause death. But i was also thinking trying it better then doing nothing. I also gave her tylan by mouth earlier this morning thinking that if it was an infection that maybe it will just resolve.

It actually makes complete sense as it could have been the mite dust medication although I was being very careful in a completely open parking lot. Any thoughts on Oxine with a small vaporizer or would you pierce the air sac?

Last edited:
Does her breath/beak have a rotten odor or bad smell?

I know it's difficult to take photos by yourself, can you get someone to take photos while you open the beak again? Hard to really see, but are you seeing white/yellow looking pustules or sore inside the beak and on the tongue?
Also the end of her top beak and the lower beak, there are 2 places especially that look like injury? Maybe a puncture?

She does not look well at all. If you have vet care, that's best, but a guess would be canker or as suggested a crop issue with accompanying yeast/thrush.
upload_2019-9-11_11-58-43.png

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker
https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/news/post/a-review-of-oral-lesions-in-backyard-chickens

Back
Top Bottom