Bulge under hens beak.......any thoughts on how to proceed

Can't really wait for the meds to arrive so I gave her this in the mean time each packet contains 250 mg of Metronidazole & 75 mg of Praziquantel. It's powder mixed with water & was able to get down about half of it for now. Can't really worry about whatever that second ingredient is because she does not look like she will make it. Gave her a dropper of ACV guess I will have to see how it goes. She seemed to be doing better but all of a sudden started struggling late yesterday evening.

Found the product at a local pet store just by chance.

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3098a.jpg

Underneath the beak?
I honestly don't know what you can do. Since you got blood from that, it may be a tumor or the swelling might be from the canker.
Is she not improving?

You were probably right that first medication was useless. It would be impossible for those tiny capsules to contain 250mg of Metronidazole when I compare it to the amount in these packets i just picked up. I'm hoping at this point she can still recover. She could barely breathe this morning very bad......but now seems just a smidgen better. I think the ACV helped short term to clear the area but I'm only guessing. Will see how it goes from here and update for all. Thanks.

Last edited:
If she is in really bad shape, I would try the API. The Praziquantel is commonly used to treat tapeworms in chickens. The amount in the API is a little concerning, but....(it's up to you). When the other comes in, just finish out treatment with that.

I'm so sorry she's not doing well:hugs It sounds like she's a fighter.

I'm so sorry she's not doing well:hugs It sounds like she's a fighter

Yes I am doing that now. She is the biggest & heaviest hen we have so I think she might have enough reserve to make it. Doing nothing wouldn't be an option at this point so we will have to take the risk. Could go either way will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.

I was hoping the throat canker if that is what's going on here would have reduced in size but doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone know the average number of days it takes I thought I read about 4 days somewhere.

I have done just about everything so far. Still giving her the same medication the other one should come today but still this one is 250 mg of the Metroidazole

Gave her quite a bit of water by eyedropper along with honey water and coconut oil.

I swabbed down her throat with a apple cider soaked cotton swab several times and it's seem clear. When I give her apple cider by eyedropper a few minutes later her mouth is full of mucous.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have some good news but still very too soon to tell. I reached my breaking point and considered cutting open her throat area to see if I could squeeze something out but I also noticed I didn't see her tongue when I pried open her beak to place the eyedropper. I decided to swab the throat again then I started digging in her bottom beak area and I noticed it started to loosen up. I ended up pulling out a chunk of something but more important she stopped gapping for air.

This hen has not slept in 3 1/2 days solid. I didn't think that was even possible but she needed to stay up as she was gapping every 5-10 seconds. Right now she is exhausted so I will let her rest and hope she survives. She can now at least close her eyes and rest. I am just as stressed having to watch all of this the last few days.

She actually started cleaning herself when I brought her inside. If she makes it, it will be amazing for sure.

IMG_3124.JPG
IMG_3125.JPG
IMG_3126.JPG

Back
Top Bottom