Bulging chicken eye!

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland

One of my chickens has an eye that seems subtlety different, but just not right at all. One looks bulging. I need help. No other symptoms, nothing like sneezing or foaming eyes, nothing! But it seems wrong to leave it so what should i do? I’ll try getting a better pic later but she’s kinda skittish.
BA513E61-9BE0-4B3D-A757-88E8B40386EC.jpeg
Normal side.
2F5EC7F6-0E7A-4286-A2FE-00606915C7EE.jpeg
Bulging side.

This can’t be normal, right?

Hard to tell in the photos.

Gather her up and examine her eye to see if she's suffered an insect bite, a peck the eye, injury or gotten some debris in it, etc.

You can rinse the eye with saline if needed.
Thank you. It seems like the eye doesn’t fit the eyelid anymore, if that makes sense. Theres a small gap and it’s definitely swollen around the eye/on top. I would say insect bite, but then why would the eye itself be swollen?

Any lesions inside her beak?

You can try flushing the eye with saline, then apply an ointment like Terramycin in the eye to see if that reduces swelling.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If so, what do you have?

She's a cute little thing!

Any lesions inside her beak?

You can try flushing the eye with saline, then apply an ointment like Terramycin in the eye to see if that reduces swelling.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If so, what do you have?

She's a cute little thing!
I will look!

Okay, ive been using vetericyn gel 2 times now, i started yesterday, did one yesterday one today.

I’ll look for lesions in the morning.

Not sure, but i think i have some. I’ll look.

I know, i think she looks adorable, but everytime i look at her i just feel so bad. I feel like she has to be in some sort of discomfort and pain and im not sure what to do for her.

Back
Top Bottom