Pics
Is that really going on here? I just came back to this forum because of the whole feed situation. Are threads getting nuked for it? That's alarming.
I don't think it's alarming. The mods are just users like us. And we all agreed to the terms when we signed up. The mods do what's best to tamp down arguments and negativity. Plus I doubt they want to be propagators of incorrect information.

It will not be cheaper, on average, a properly balanced homemade feed will cost $3 to $8 a pound.
If someone says their recipe is cheaper and better than store feed, you can be sure that their recipe isn't a recipe you want.
Poultry feed is one one the most heavily researched agricultural areas on the planet, what you buy at the feed store is formulated to provide all the necessary nutrition, most effectively and cheaply.
A homemade feed can meet nutritional needs but it'll will be quite expensive.
Yes. So layer feed that people buy in the shop is optimised with cheap ingredients for laying hybrids and high productive breeds in their early years, who lay at least 300 eggs a year.
Commercial layer feed is not meant for heritage breeds. And mixing your own might even be better for not-commercial breeds, rooster and older hens.
Of course the chickens need supplements too if the self made mix + extras don’t include fresh food and minerals like calcium (on the side). Free ranging (in a fertile garden) can provide what chickens need too next to a grain mix.

@CarlaCo what kind of chickens do you have?

In my country we have a supplier that informs pretty good about their poultry feed. Only miss the amounts of each ingredient.
Bio-Ron Poultry Mix

Rich organic blend of whole grains, cracked corn and seeds. It contains a total of 10 different ingredients.

Suitable for chickens and other poultry such as peacocks, ducks, geese, fowls, ostriches, swans, etc.

Composition:
Wheat, barley, sunflower seeds, broken corn, black oats, lupine, buckwheat, spelt, peas and linseed.

Free range animals
For animals that can forage outside and can also find fresh greenery and insects there, we recommend feeding the poultry mix as a basis and always making chicken grit plus freely available.

In addition, alternately offer some extra seaweed, bokashi, sunflower seeds, hemp seed or/and bio-chi for extra vitamins. All this together should in principle ensure that the animals receive everything they need to live a healthy life.

Laying crumble and laying pellets are actually products intended for production animals that have to deliver a lot of eggs and/or meat quickly. They can possibly be fed as an extra supplement in addition to the grain, for example in winter or/and moulting periods.

There is more on that page (interested? Use translate from Dutch to English)
https://www.bio-ron.com/producten/diervoeding/kippen-voeding/

I don't think it's alarming. The mods are just users like us. And we all agreed to the terms when we signed up. The mods do what's best to tamp down arguments and negativity. Plus I doubt they want to be propagators of incorrect information.
Was there something in the terms about not being allowed to discuss something as serious as feed potentially causing our birds not to lay? "Plus I doubt they want to be propagators of incorrect information." That's like a line straight out of a novel about a dystopian society.

Was there something in the terms about not being allowed to discuss something as serious as feed potentially causing our birds not to lay? "Plus I doubt they want to be propagators of incorrect information." That's like a line straight out of a novel about a dystopian society.
Good grief. It does say no arguing or politics and the like. The other threads went there. Plus, they will shut down threads that are reported by other users. And they don't want unproven info being sourced here, I'm sure. My vocabulary is my vocabulary. Not a huge fan of dystopian novels. Too boring.

Here are the terms we all agreed to:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/help/terms/

Good grief. It does say no arguing or politics and the like. The other threads went there. Plus, they will shut down threads that are reported by other users. And they don't want unproven info being sourced here, I'm sure. My vocabulary is my vocabulary. Not a huge fan of dystopian novels. Too boring.

What exactly are the politics of this? And there is no rule against politics either way.

What exactly are the politics of this? And there is no rule against politics either way.

It's a conspiracy theory. There is no actual evidence that commercial feed is causing hens not to lay eggs. It's all anecdotal. Not to mention it would be a REALLY bad business move for commercial feed producers to sabotage their own product. Why would they do that?

Mark Twain once said:
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting its shoes on."

There actually is a term of use guideline regarding getting into politics here:

"We strongly discourage religious, political, and other strongly divisive topics, and reserve the right to delete them at our discretion."

Incorrect, unproven information on this site, no way

It's a conspiracy theory. There is no actual evidence that commercial feed is causing hens not to lay eggs. It's all anecdotal. Not to mention it would be a REALLY bad business move for commercial feed producers to sabotage their own product. Why would they do that?

Mark Twain once said:
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting its shoes on."

There actually is a term of use guideline regarding getting into politics here:

"We strongly discourage religious, political, and other strongly divisive topics, and reserve the right to delete them at our discretion."
Again, there is no politics to this, and throwing "conspiracy theory" meaningless label people throw at around when confronted with an ugly thought they'd rather just dismiss out of hand. Land of Lakes makes much more money selling eggs right now, making record profits, than they do from selling chicken feed. Food growers, farmers, producers across the western world seem to be under coordinated attack lately. People are being forced to kill off their flocks because of bogus PCR tests for avian flu, despite the birds being healthy.

If you can't talk about something potentially very serious directly and exclusively relating to what this site is all about, because we live in a new orwellian society where thinking and discourse are considered harmful, then there's no point in even being here.

@CarlaCo what kind of chickens do you have?

In my country we have a supplier that informs pretty good about their poultry feed. Only miss the amounts of each ingredient.
Bio-Ron Poultry Mix

Rich organic blend of whole grains, cracked corn and seeds. It contains a total of 10 different ingredients.

Suitable for chickens and other poultry such as peacocks, ducks, geese, fowls, ostriches, swans, etc.

Composition:
Wheat, barley, sunflower seeds, broken corn, black oats, lupine, buckwheat, spelt, peas and linseed.

Free range animals
For animals that can forage outside and can also find fresh greenery and insects there, we recommend feeding the poultry mix as a basis and always making chicken grit plus freely available.

In addition, alternately offer some extra seaweed, bokashi, sunflower seeds, hemp seed or/and bio-chi for extra vitamins. All this together should in principle ensure that the animals receive everything they need to live a healthy life.

Laying crumble and laying pellets are actually products intended for production animals that have to deliver a lot of eggs and/or meat quickly. They can possibly be fed as an extra supplement in addition to the grain, for example in winter or/and moulting periods.

There is more on that page (interested? Use translate from Dutch to English)
https://www.bio-ron.com/producten/diervoeding/kippen-voeding/
Thank you. It’s helpful to know what is in their mix.
The problem here is that because of ties to WEF I don’t trust the label on the Purina and the Tractor Supply brands. We have zero trustworthy agencies (that can’t be bought off by elites), imo, that can police the content of their feed.

Back
Top Bottom