Bullied & and Pecked Hen PLEASE HELP

JacobMaxwell

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
Just a few hours ago I noticed one of the hens being pecked on the head and bullied by the other hens. She has always seemed like the outcast, but it has never gone this far. I really don't have anywhere to separate the outcast to, so I'm wondering if there is any way to stop them.

It's usually recommended to separate the lead bully for several days, not the one who is being pecked. Then when she is reintroduced, she will be at the bottom of the pecking order.

Or just let them peck it out, especially if you do not see blood. Someone will always be at the bottom of the pecking order.

Usually the best way to stop it is to give them a lot more space, and somewhere they can forage or hunt for forage.

It's usually recommended to separate the lead bully for several days, not the one who is being pecked. Then when she is reintroduced, she will be at the bottom of the pecking order.

Or just let them peck it out, especially if you do not see blood. Someone will always be at the bottom of the pecking order.

Usually the best way to stop it is to give them a lot more space, and somewhere they can forage or hunt for forage.
I separated the head bully. Even though she was mean, I felt sad to have to put her in a cage on her own.

Flockwatcher gave good advice on removing the bully. Now pay attention to the behavior of the flock with the bully absent. Note who takes the lead and how the leader treats the others. If you see any bloody wounds on birds, you have to pay close attention so it doesn't attract further pecking.

Flockwatcher gave good advice on removing the bully. Now pay attention to the behavior of the flock with the bully absent. Note who takes the lead and how the leader treats the others. If you see any bloody wounds on birds, you have to pay close attention so it doesn't attract further pecking.
As soon as I removed the bully, the coop was totally peaceful. AMAZING!

Update: Sadly, some of the other hens are also pecking the outcast. I guess separating the head honcho didn't work. What should I do now? They came from the hatchery beak trimmed, so I don't think they can actually hurt each other. I feel so bad for that poor hen hiding her head in a corner.

Back
Top Bottom