Bullied duck not doing well?

Purra

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Indiana
One of my six, Igor, is the smallest and has a limp from turned in legs. He gets bullied a lot by one of my rouen drakes, and now has what looks like really cracked and split spots on the heels of his feet. I've been giving him baths inside now and then and been putting neosporin on his feet, but what else should I try? It's not getting better and a couple other ducks are getting smaller spots of it on their feet. I'm not sure what I'll be able to find around here.

They're in the shed because of the snow and cold, with straw bedding and a small pool that gets changed daily.

I don't think he gets much time in the water because he gets picked on, when I brought him in today for a bath he was really scruffy looking and sort of looked crusty on his head and neck. His quacks also sounded a little whistle-y today, which they hadn't before. I was thinking of keeping him separate or maybe penned off with the other mallard, since they get along.

Any help or tips would be appreciated!

Bonus picture of ducks in the snow:

One of my six, Igor, is the smallest and has a limp from turned in legs. He gets bullied a lot by one of my rouen drakes, and now has what looks like really cracked and split spots on the heels of his feet. I've been giving him baths inside now and then and been putting neosporin on his feet, but what else should I try? It's not getting better and a couple other ducks are getting smaller spots of it on their feet. I'm not sure what I'll be able to find around here.

They're in the shed because of the snow and cold, with straw bedding and a small pool that gets changed daily.

I don't think he gets much time in the water because he gets picked on, when I brought him in today for a bath he was really scruffy looking and sort of looked crusty on his head and neck. His quacks also sounded a little whistle-y today, which they hadn't before. I was thinking of keeping him separate or maybe penned off with the other mallard, since they get along.

Any help or tips would be appreciated!

Bonus picture of ducks in the snow:

First off I think your idea of separation from the others is a good idea, Just the constant picking can make on sick, stress. and giving him a friend will boost his health too. Aside from that just keep on the way you are with the neo and clean water. there are other things you can use, Nu stock, Veterycin spray, all found at feed stores or TSC but the neo should help. other than the snow and straw are they walking on anything that abrasive?

First off I think your idea of separation from the others is a good idea, Just the constant picking can make on sick, stress. and giving him a friend will boost his health too. Aside from that just keep on the way you are with the neo and clean water. there are other things you can use, Nu stock, Veterycin spray, all found at feed stores or TSC but the neo should help. other than the snow and straw are they walking on anything that abrasive?
There's nothing they walk on besides snow, grass if it thaws enough, or the straw. I keep the straw as clean as I can (ducks... it gets wet and dirty and yeah). The shed is heated so the water never freezes, and the bottom of the pool is plain smooth plastic.
The only thing with penning them off is the shed is already fairly small but an adequate amount of space for six flightless ducks, with time out in the yard when it's warm enough. If I pen the mallards off it will cut the space they have to move in half.

I know it may not work, but could those two be brought in, perhaps into a utility room for a few days? A warmer spot might help healing.
I don't have anywhere I could put them inside, most rooms are carpet and my dad would throw a fit if I tried I'm pretty sure. He gets huffy that I bring Igor in for baths as it is.

I did divide up the shed just now and penned the mallards close to the heater. I rearranged things so it isn't too cramped, though still less space than the group of four would like.

Hi,

You mentioned that your duck had issues with cracks on its feet. My family’s ducks had the same problem that eventually cleared up, but I was recently doing some research found that cracked feet are often a symptom of a nutritional deficiency in biotin, pantothenic acid, and/or riboflavin or another vitamin or mineral important to keeping skin healthy. The book, by Dave Holderread, (I currently am looking at a very old edition but there is a new edition that is definitely worth looking at. I borrow my copies from the library) suggests adding a vitamin supplements or feed supplements high in vitamin A, biotin, and pantothenic acid such as brewer's dried yeast, whey, dried skim milk, or alfalfa meal. We started adding a vitamin supplement to their feed and their feet got better.

We also have a duck that had a niacin deficiency as a duckling and still has a slight limp; we've found that her limp is better if we always add niacin the duck feed.

Hi,

You mentioned that your duck had issues with cracks on its feet. My family’s ducks had the same problem that eventually cleared up, but I was recently doing some research found that cracked feet are often a symptom of a nutritional deficiency in biotin, pantothenic acid, and/or riboflavin or another vitamin or mineral important to keeping skin healthy. The book, by Dave Holderread, (I currently am looking at a very old edition but there is a new edition that is definitely worth looking at. I borrow my copies from the library) suggests adding a vitamin supplements or feed supplements high in vitamin A, biotin, and pantothenic acid such as brewer's dried yeast, whey, dried skim milk, or alfalfa meal. We started adding a vitamin supplement to their feed and their feet got better.

We also have a duck that had a niacin deficiency as a duckling and still has a slight limp; we've found that her limp is better if we always add niacin the duck feed.
Very good info, and Brewers yeast is very good for them and easy to use by just sprinkling on top of feed, thanks
welcome-byc.gif

Bit of an update. Getting some mixed results. Igor seems happier and cleaner, though his feet are still messed up.

Since dividing off the mallards from the domestics, any time they're let out together there's fighting. Tofu will go after Munchkin and rip feathers out, and chase him away from the group. He's been ignoring Igor now though? I don't get it, ducks are weird.

Back
Top Bottom