Bullied Hen not Laying

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
Hello! My two year old Easter Egger hen hasn't begun laying yet this year, and I'm starting to wonder if she ever will. Some background on her:

She's always been the bottom of the pecking order, but there is absolutely no severe bullying going on. No feather-pecking or blood injuries. She's a little drama queen and will freak out at the smallest little peck from another hen. Her wild behavior makes her a perfect subject to be picked on. :hmm Anyway, in previous years she's layed great, even though she doesn't get along with the flock very well. Last year she went broody and hatched out 10 eggs for me. It's like being a mother evened out her hormones, since she acted like a normal chicken for those few weeks and the others didn't bully her. :p

I haven't seen a single egg from her this year, no broody behavior, nothing. Sadly, she hides by herself a lot of the time.

Any advice or insight?

Heres a pic of her, the ever lovely Miss Muffet. :)
a0c680db42abd2c1e2c6ea735a9d9c48.jpg

Have you checked her crop to see if she is getting enough to eat?
Her crop seems decently full. I'm pretty sure she does get as much as she needs, but I'll pay more attention for a while.

Have you done vent check to see if she's laying or not?
Her pelvic bones are about 2½ fingers wide, but one of my hens currently laying is only 2 fingers wide. :idunno

Her comb is nice and pink, I think she's laying a color you don't expect.
That's a pic from earlier in the year when only a couple of my hens were laying (sorry about the misunderstanding.) I've been checking on the nesting boxes a lot recently due to an egg-eating issue (solved now) and have seen every hen in the nesting box but her, so seems unlikely to me that she is laying but maybe you're right.

That's a pic from earlier in the year when only a couple of my hens were laying (sorry about the misunderstanding.) I've been checking on the nesting boxes a lot recently due to an egg-eating issue (solved now) and have seen every hen in the nesting box but her, so seems unlikely to me that she is laying but maybe you're right.
One if my hens lays at 7pm and another at 5am, I know who lays at 7 but I'm not getting up that early to see.😅

One if my hens lays at 7pm and another at 5am, I know who lays at 7 but I'm not getting up that early to see.😅
My EEs never lay before 8:00, which is when I let them out of the coop. I know my flock very well, and I'd be utterly surprised if she was laying without me knowing.

Or could she have a hidden nest?
I've checked everywhere in their run. Not a thing.

Back
Top Bottom