Bullied hen with injured eye--How to treat?

tasnim2005

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Hi everybody... I have a black australorp hen around 8-9 months old. We keep her (and 2 other australorps) with some ISA Browns, and even after a few months of putting them together, the ISA Browns (older) tend to bully the australorps a lot.

Yesterday, we saw one of the australorp's eyes to be sort of swollen shut, and she keeps it closed, and when she can open it, it's swollen and glassy. Other than that, she seems to be fine (eating, drinking, and pooping well... responsive and friendly to us, although obviously kind of flighty around the ISA Browns). We do believe it was an ISA brown that pecked her eye and injured her, but it could also be an eye infection maybe? We cleaned it with saline solution once yesterday, and nothing else yet.

I attached pictures of her eye below--If anybody can advise on how to treat her and what things we should purchase (if needed) I would highly appreciate it!!

Any and all responses are appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• received_1037187833874909.jpeg
    received_1037187833874909.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 23
  • received_331767519020205.jpeg
    received_331767519020205.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 7
  • received_515484723439602.jpeg
    received_515484723439602.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 7
I would apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment (from a feed store or online,) or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment to the eye twice a day after cleaning the eye with saline. I cannot see the eye itself in the middle picture, but a clearer picture may be helpful.

I would apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment (from a feed store or online,) or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment to the eye twice a day after cleaning the eye with saline. I cannot see the eye itself in the middle picture, but a clearer picture may be helpful.
Hi, thank you so much for the response! I'm sorry I couldn't get a clearer picture. We have neosporin and triple antibiotic ointment on hand. Can I ask--how would you apply it? Directly on the open eye, or on the surrounding area? With a finger or a q-tip, etc.?

It goes directly in the eye, just a small dab. I pull down on the lower eyelid and just apply it with finger, Q tip or tube, keeping care to keep the tube clean. If you get it on the eyelid, it will usually be spread by blinking.

Back
Top Bottom