bullied hen

idahochicklady

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
I have a hen that just recently started getting picked on by the other hens. I have had all these birds for two years since they were chicks. The one being picked on just went through a full moult and is now getting her feathers back. Been trying to separate the bullys but dont have a ton of room to do so. i let them out every afternoon so dont think it is overcrowding.

can anyone help. I have been making sure she gets fed separate from the group so i know she is getting enough.

I have a hen that just recently started getting picked on by the other hens. I have had all these birds for two years since they were chicks. The one being picked on just went through a full moult and is now getting her feathers back. Been trying to separate the bullys but dont have a ton of room to do so. i let them out every afternoon so dont think it is overcrowding.

can anyone help. I have been making sure she gets fed separate from the group so i know she is getting enough.

They will pick on each other, just as part of the pecking order, but if this is new behavior, can you identify the worst offenders? I had a couple of hens who were pulling and eating feathers, and I eventually put pinless peepers on them. It solved the problem.
I have a cross-beak hen that I feed separately, just so she has a fighting chance. You may want to do that with your bird at least while she is molting.
Good luck with them!

I am a little green to the whole chicken thing so I dont know what a pinless peeper is. I have been feeding my picked on bird separately and then put her in with the group. i have noticed there are two hens that are the worst offenders. I have been taking the bullies out of the run and putting them in the dog crate. for the day. but afraid of putting two birds in the dog crate because i dont wont them fighting.
I have a separate fenced area but I need to put a cover on it before i use it .
my picked on bird is getting feathers back so that is good but she just gets really pushed around by theses hens. She just needs to stick up for herself.

Thank you for the advice

As long as they are not seriously hurting each other and drawing blood, you may want to see if they can work it out themselves. Unfortunately, someone is always at the bottom of the pecking order.

If they are drawing blood (I had some that kept after one hen with a bald spot), then you might try the pinless peepers, which are available here: http://www.eggcartons.com/Poultry-Care/Pinless-Peepers

I don't really like them, because it blocks the hen's vision except for looking down (so they can find feed), but I would not have been able to keep my leghorn without them.

Good luck.

thank you. I checked the group at lunch and all seemed ok. I did still have the bully separate which I may do for another day. No blood just a lot of chasing and jumping on the poor girl. But did seem better today. She doesnt have any bald spots anymore just not real fluffy just yet.

Back
Top Bottom