Bully bird

wildwestcoast

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2015
Vancouver Island, Canada
So i have two coops. Coop one is 4×4 with an 8×4 attached run. This is home to 5 hens. I have one hen who has all her back feathers missing above the tail..totally bald. Like a patch the size of my hand. I suspect a large red hen who is in perfect condition. The other three look a little pecked but still in good shape overall. Im wondering if i should move the beat up hen in with my other 3 POL hens that live in coop 2. Coop 2 is 3.5×4 with a 3.5×6 run. I often let them roam the yard during the day as both coops have their own larger fenced area. Just not sure how to solve the issue. Also not completely sure which hen is doing the damage. Any advice ?

Both groups of birds have met and are ok with each other?

How often do the birds actually get to come out into the yard (hours per day) - your runs are very tiny so any boredom/aggression issues are going to be magnified. The obvious "fix" is to expand both runs and add clutter so they have stuff to do, and/or let them have free run of the yard the whole day.

Both groups of birds have met and are ok with each other?

How often do the birds actually get to come out into the yard (hours per day) - your runs are very tiny so any boredom/aggression issues are going to be magnified. The obvious "fix" is to expand both runs and add clutter so they have stuff to do, and/or let them have free run of the yard the whole day.

Well thanks but they have plenty of room to roam and lots to do. Unless the weather is bad or they are on predator lock down they get out every day. They have gardens they dig in and stumps to jump on dust baths and on and on. I described the two coops so that you would see i have the ability to rehome the bullied hen with the other group and really am looking for advice with that idea.

Well thanks but they have plenty of room to roam and lots to do. Unless the weather is bad or they are on predator lock down they get out every day. They have gardens they dig in and stumps to jump on dust baths and on and on. I described the two coops so that you would see i have the ability to rehome the bullied hen with the other group and really am looking for advice with that idea.

But for how long each day? Some folks think 1 or 2 hours out a day is enough to make up for a small run, but in this case, it seems the chickens don't feel it's enough.

Also I agree with aart, you might actually want to try moving the bully into the other coop. Though still not sure if that will actually do anything if they're truly spending all day together as a group? (this is why I'm curious as to specific details)

Back
Top Bottom