Bully chicken HELP!!!

peepermama

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2016
Sarasota Florida
I rescued a flock of 7 chickens about 4 weeks ago. 4 regular sized girls, and 3 bantams. 2 of the big girls sadly didn't make it as they were very malnourished and already very ill. When the people we got them from tossed the bantams into the travel crate the dutch blue began pecking the feathered feet of the d'ulcce. I chalked it up to stress and got everyone home. Once we got home and we're setting up the coop I noticed she was still picking at her so I pulled the d'ulcce out. Waited until dusk, cleaned the d'ulcces feet so there was no blood, and put everyone in the same coop while they were all asleep. (Previously they were in 2 coops bigs in 1 smalls in another. The poor bantams had no run either) next morning I got up and the dutch had gone after her again. So I bandaged her feet and we went and got some blue kote and put that on her as well. The dutch was still going after her feet a bit but not as badly. Once she was completely healed I removed the bandages and let her loose. The dutch IMMEDIATELY went after her feet again. At this point I took the dutch out and put her in a crate in the house for a week, as she was the only one picking the d'ulcce. She also wasn't picking on anyone else. After the week, back in the coop at night, and I wrapped the d'ulcce's feet just in case as protection. Got up the next morning and let them out of the coop and the dutch was after her again. At this point I put the dutch in the run in a crate by herself and after 3 days I let her out supervised. Again she was after the d'ulcce. At this point the d'ulcce is now tame and runs to me as soon as she sees me. She is clearly low man on the totem pole but she doesn't seem to mind. She spends more time than I feel like she should hiding away, but I'm not sure what I can do about that. The last time I let the dutch out the d'ulcce wandered into the crate at which point the dutch grabbed the nearest foot and would not let go until I sprayed her with water. Is there anything else I can try? I'm at a loss. I really don't want to have to remove her, but the dutch is just obsessed with the d'ulcces feet. And only hers. She doesn't peck her anywhere else either. They were previously all in the same coop so I don't understand what happened. HELP

Last edited:
You'll need to remove the Dutch for a lot longer than three days for the separation to have any effect. Think 1-2 weeks. After that, try reintroduction. When you do reintroduce, apply an anti-picking solution such as Pick-No-More to the d'Uccle's feet.

If all else fails, you may look into pinless peepers. I only like to use them as a last resort since they make birds more vulnerable to predators, but they've always been 100% effective with the really aggressive and picky birds.

She was completely away for a week, and has been in the crate in the run now for another week. She also isn't just pecking at blood, she just wants her feet, even wrapped and completely covered in blue kote she attacked her

She was completely away for a week, and has been in the crate in the run now for another week. She also isn't just pecking at blood, she just wants her feet, even wrapped and completely covered in blue kote she attacked her

Oh, I must have misread your post. She seems very determined. I think pinless peepers might be a good option at this point.

A totally bad Habit has started....Try adding more protein to her diet....Fish based dry cat food is great....A few handfuls a week usually stops feather eating and pecking...Unsure so try separating for longer and the cat food...

They were getting mostly corn where they were, so I fixed that immediately and they've all put on weight. I was thinking protein as well, but the bully doesn't go after an one else, or anything other than the one girls feet. The last time she attacked her I ad put Vicks of the d'ulcce's feet and a dab on her back but the dutch didn't care a bit. I ordered the pinless peepers last night as it was the cheaper option and the Vicks didn't phase her so I figured I'd try that first.

You need a diversion. Chickens get fixated on things just as some people do. It helps to provide other items of interest to diffuse the original attraction.

Get creative. Start with a flock scratch block. It usually excites the entire flock and they spend hours pecking away at it, trying to remove the seeds cemented into it.

Try scattering things around the run that resemble the original fixation, in this case the d'ulcce's feet. Badmitton shuttle cocks come to mind. A bunch of those scattered around the run may draw attention away from the d'ulcce's feet. Check out the cat toys at the pet store for more possibilities.

Provide additional perches in your run so victims of bullying can find refuge. I install perches of varying heights around the run and place tree stumps around. Those make dandy seats for human observers, too.

I have a Brahma pullet who had nice feathered feet but my Bantam pulled them off...They are growing back but slowly....
I never thought much of it?? For the most part mine all get along...I fed the cat food and things got better....

Sorry my reply could not help......

Back
Top Bottom