Bully Chicken injuring the others!

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Hi all,

So I have found a home for all 4 of my Welsummer roosters and I will be rehoming them tomorrow am. In the meantime, the one rooster is picking on the others. I have him in a separate bin by himself right now, but he was pulling feathers out of the others and eating them. I put him in a separate bin for about 20 minutes and then put him back with the others, but he immediately began doing the same thing. The others were fleeing from him and screeching, so I removed him again, which is where I am now. He is screeching being by himself in the bin, but I don't want him being with the others. The other are much more content without him. Am I doing the right thing?

Hi all,

So I have found a home for all 4 of my Welsummer roosters and I will be rehoming them tomorrow am. In the meantime, the one rooster is picking on the others. I have him in a separate bin by himself right now, but he was pulling feathers out of the others and eating them. I put him in a separate bin for about 20 minutes and then put him back with the others, but he immediately began doing the same thing. The others were fleeing from him and screeching, so I removed him again, which is where I am now. He is screeching being by himself in the bin, but I don't want him being with the others. The other are much more content without him. Am I doing the right thing?

I had something similar happen. He became toxic, and on the second day of noticing the behavior after a long hard day at work I made the decision to cull him. The flock has been much happier and less stressed since.

This is the first day this has happened. Prior to this they were all getting along just fine. It's only since today that this began occurring. I'll leave it up to the next owner if he wants to cull him or not.

This is the first day this has happened. Prior to this they were all getting along just fine. It's only since today that this began occurring. I'll leave it up to the next owner if he wants to cull him or not.
if hormones are kicking in they aren't the smartest cookies in the jar, especially if they have been around hens. Best thing you can do is keep all males as ya know they are males separate as soon as ya know they are cockrels

Rule of thumb is aggressor gets taken out for peace of flock and owners sanity, freezer camp usually cures them of it

Last edited:
So I found someone yesterday who took two of the roos and it seems like a great home. They are going to be free ranged with a dozen or so hens for the foreseeable future, which is about as great as a home as I could ask for. I didn't give him the bully bird because I knew he was going to take care of them and I didnt want him to have any problems.

I was supposed to.meet with someone this morning to take the remaining two roos, including the bully, but he canceled on me. Still I have received another inquiry from someone who wants them so hopefully it works out.

In the meantime the bully rooster is still in his isolation bin with food and water and the other rooster, who was the smallest of the 4 is with the hen and they seem to be getting along just fine.

Feather eating is generally a lack of protein in the diet. Not enough space...

They have all been on the same feed since the beginning, Purina medicated chick starter. This bird is the largest of the bunch but is the only one exhibiting this behavior. As for space I'm not sure. The 50 gal bin was maybe getting a little tight, but I am now down two birds so there are only two in a 50 gal bin. The third bully bird is in his own 25 gallon bin with food and water. Maybe with two less birds, he will be okay with the extra space. Still I'm worried to try putting him with the others for fear he's going to do the same thing.

They have all been on the same feed since the beginning, Purina medicated chick starter. This bird is the largest of the bunch but is the only one exhibiting this behavior. As for space I'm not sure. The 50 gal bin was maybe getting a little tight, but I am now down two birds so there are only two in a 50 gal bin. The third bully bird is in his own 25 gallon bin with food and water. Maybe with two less birds, he will be okay with the extra space. Still I'm worried to try putting him with the others for fear he's going to do the same thing.
How old are these birds?

Back
Top Bottom