Bully, egg eater, and potential health problems?

Chickenlady140

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
I’ve been having a hard time with my girls pretty much since I got them in April! I have 4 RIR, when I got them I was told they’re 12-18 months old. They eat 16% layer pellets and have oyster shells and grit available at all times. They don’t free range, but have a pretty large run.
The first few days they were home they were laying soft eggs (from stress?) and they found out they could eat them. They all started laying normal eggs after a few days except for one. Her name is yoshi, and she lays soft or eggless shells probably 75% of the time, but also lays way less than the others. I’ve tried fake eggs and mustard eggs, but I can’t seem to break the habit of eating them because yoshi lays these eggs, they see it and all run to eat it 🤢 which leads to them cracking and eating good eggs.
Another problem I’m having with her that’s scaring me, is for a day or two she’ll be acting lethargic, closing her eyes and keeping her tail down, and her comb looks pale. During this time her poop is watery, yellow almost like yolk, and has pieces of green that looks like worms (but not worms). This has happened to her twice now, once in may, and once two weeks ago. I checked for stuck/broken eggs, and about everything else I could find online. With the yolk looking poop, I was thinking egg peritonitis, but both times she was totally back to normal by day 3.
One other problem I’m having with Yoshi is that she’s a bully 🤣 she’s not the boss of the group, but she’ll jump on the others backs and bite their necks. It looks like a mating thing..?

I will take any and all advice!! I wanted to add a few more girls to our flock but I want to get all these things figured out first!

Back
Top Bottom