Bully hen

Gickenbutt225

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2023
I’m sure this has been discussed to death. I have 5 hens, and one is a total bully. She tore a part of one’s comb off, and is now attacking the back of another hen. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Is she just a nasty hen? We have had very extreme heat the last two days. Finally a reprieve today. I’m considering finding her another home, but will another hen just rise up to top, bully hen? Thanks in advance.

I have a hen right now thats completely seperated. My second bully hen from 2 different flocks.
My first flock the chicken was so bad she was making the others bleed.
The one i have right now is mean to. She eats the eggs, pecks the others. Has to be the first one at the food.
And attacks if i pick the others up.
I got rid of the first one. And the second one is going today.
I know there is things that can go on their beaks to stop it but i didnt buy any.

I would first try to figure out why she is acting like that. It can be a sign that there isn't enough space in the coop and run, and can also be a sign of them not being given enough food. I've seen the pinless peepers mentioned above, and that might be worth a shot. If you take her out of the flock, the whole pecking order may change, and there is no guarantee a new bully won't take her place.

I agree with Jed, fix any of those issues first.

I have heard of some chickens reforming from being kept in a cage with food and water inside the coop for a certain amount of time. If you fix potential issues and then try the cage method, and the hen still comes out maladjusted, you should have no reservations culling them. Some birds have brain or hormone issues, and just need to be culled to protect the others in the flock, sadly. If the bird can't learn to peacefully co-exist, and you aren't able to cull, you should re-home under the pretense that you are giving them away to be culled.

I would first try to figure out why she is acting like that. It can be a sign that there isn't enough space in the coop and run, and can also be a sign of them not being given enough food. I've seen the pinless peepers mentioned above, and that might be worth a shot. If you take her out of the flock, the whole pecking order may change, and there is no guarantee a new bully won't take her place.
My bully has been seperated for almost 2 weeks with no issues. So j think my flock is okay without her. But just asking how long will it take for a whole pecking order to change especially with chicks hatching in a week.

My bully has been seperated for almost 2 weeks with no issues. So j think my flock is okay without her. But just asking how long will it take for a whole pecking order to change especially with chicks hatching in a week.
It doesn't take too long. A week maybe, but sometimes more. It just depends on the individuals. You have to do what you feel is right for your situation. We are just here to give advice.

Back
Top Bottom