Bully hen

It doesn't take too long. A week maybe, but sometimes more. It just depends on the individuals. You have to do what you feel is right for your situation. We are just here to give advice.
Ok mine other has been seperated for 2 weeks and my chickens are all amazing together! Thanks

I would first try to figure out why she is acting like that. It can be a sign that there isn't enough space in the coop and run, and can also be a sign of them not being given enough food. I've seen the pinless peepers mentioned above, and that might be worth a shot. If you take her out of the flock, the whole pecking order may change, and there is no guarantee a new bully won't take her place.
@Gickenbutt225 did you see this^^.
Tell us more about your flock(numbers and ages, in weeks or months),
and their housing(coop and run, in feet by feet).

@Gickenbutt225 did you see this^^.
Tell us more about your flock(numbers and ages, in weeks or months),
and their housing(coop and run, in feet by feet).
Sorry! Busy afternoon. So all 5 Are 22 weeks old and all laying but one (the one being picked on isn’t laying yet actually). They have a large coop, 2 nest boxes and a 14 ft x 4ft wide run. It’s tall too, I can stand in it. They also free range often, although not without me with them. The bully is a Barred Rock. I observed them for a long time this afternoon. She is eating most of the feathers she’s plucking. It’s an aggressive peck/pluck/eat. They are all on layer feed fed in a large feeder free choice, and oyster shells offered. Do I need to up the protein treat wise? I don’t really feed any meat, or haven’t yet. They also don’t care for meal worms oddly!

Sorry! Busy afternoon. So all 5 Are 22 weeks old and all laying but one (the one being picked on isn’t laying yet actually). They have a large coop, 2 nest boxes and a 14 ft x 4ft wide run. It’s tall too, I can stand in it. They also free range often, although not without me with them. The bully is a Barred Rock. I observed them for a long time this afternoon. She is eating most of the feathers she’s plucking. It’s an aggressive peck/pluck/eat.
So your run space is a bit minimal... do you have any photos of it? Is there any clutter available to break up the space and to provide enrichment? Boredom can be a factor with feather picking issues.

I just posted this to another thread on a different issue, but it's relevant here: birds have a personal bubble of around 5-6'. So as you can imagine, if the run is 4' wide, it gives lower ranked birds zero space to get by without the higher ranked bird taking offense. They're initiating a chase simply because they can't squeeze by.

Also I'm not surprised that a bird not yet laying is being picked on by others who are, it's a hormonal thing.

Pics and/or dimensions and/or link?

What protein percentage is the layer feed?
They are on 16% layer crumble. Here’s a pic of my coop and run. I’ll have to re measure the coop, it’s a little bigger than 4x4.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
The run is quite barren. I don't know why I didn't link the clutter thread but: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140

If the run can't be expanded or cluttered up, you might want to increase your free range time by a lot so they stay busy instead of picking at each other.
The pic was taken before I had stuff in there but I probably should put more in there. I cannot expand it and was told this is plenty of space for the few I wanted. I think I’m going to get rid of the bully. We came home today to this injury on the original picked on hen and now she’s starting on a second.

Attachments

• IMG_2419.jpeg
    IMG_2419.jpeg
    637.9 KB · Views: 16
I think I’m going to get rid of the bully.
Sometimes that's the best solution. A young laying hen should be able to find a home fairly easily.

Also wanted to note as far as the feed, 16% is considered minimal as far as protein goes, so switching to a higher protein feed or mixing some in may help a little (I offer both dry layer and fermented grower to my flock), though I don't think it's the sole cause here.

With chicken dynamics, is a top hen and her best friend. The best friend will be the bully because she is the guardian of the top hen, (hench hen.) If the hench hen sees anything she deems as an insult to the top hen she will mete out a punishment. On down the line in the pecking order there is a relationship like this. (Remember the Jurrasic Park where the velociraptors were in the kitchen chasing the children, and one was under the other's command?)

Back
Top Bottom