Bully hen

Sometimes that's the best solution. A young laying hen should be able to find a home fairly easily.

Also wanted to note as far as the feed, 16% is considered minimal as far as protein goes, so switching to a higher protein feed or mixing some in may help a little (I offer both dry layer and fermented grower to my flock), though I don't think it's the sole cause here.
Thanks, it’s stressful that’s for sure. I will adjust their feed up for sure. Do you think my set up is more conducive size wise to 3-4 chickens? I am considering offering the Barred Rock sisters As a pair as the other started doing the same. The three left are all the picked on girls.

With chicken dynamics, is a top hen and her best friend. The best friend will be the bully because she is the guardian of the top hen, (hench hen.) If the hench hen sees anything she deems as an insult to the top hen she will mete out a punishment. On down the line in the pecking order there is a relationship like this. (Remember the Jurrasic Park where the velociraptors were in the kitchen chasing the children, and one was under the other's command?)
That makes perfect sense with what I’m seeing. So should they both go? They’ve been thick as thieves since day one. I’m starting to think maybe it’s not enough space for 5 hens. Although I have way more space than many I see with more!

Do you think my set up is more conducive size wise to 3-4 chickens? I am considering offering the Barred Rock sisters As a pair as the other started doing the same. The three left are all the picked on girls.
3 would do much better in that space, 4 is doable. But it's not strictly about numbers either, as...
I’m starting to think maybe it’s not enough space for 5 hens. Although I have way more space than many I see with more!
Every flock is different, which is why the minimum recommendation of 10 sq ft per bird is just that, a minimum. Some birds tolerate it, others don't.

That makes perfect sense with what I’m seeing. So should they both go? They’ve been thick as thieves since day one. I’m starting to think maybe it’s not enough space for 5 hens. Although I have way more space than many I see with more!
It will be a much better for them if they go to a new farm with a buddy, especially one that they are close with, so I think sending them together is a great idea. Let the new owner know about their past, so they are sure to have a setup that is more ideal for them (probably more room and a rooster), and can watch them closely.

Separate her for several days, she will loose her position in the pecking order and (hopefully) will learn to be a little nicer...may take more than one try. Also, be VERY careful that there is no way for her to hurt herself while she is separated. She will be trying desperately to get back to the flock.
I’m sure this has been discussed to death. I have 5 hens, and one is a total bully. She tore a part of one’s comb off, and is now attacking the back of another hen. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Is she just a nasty hen? We have had very extreme heat the last two days. Finally a reprieve today. I’m considering finding her another home, but will another hen just rise up to top, bully h

Back
Top Bottom