Bullying a chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dingosrun, Dec 25, 2014.

1. dingosrun

dingosrun New Egg

Dec 24, 2014
    have one chicken that is getting bullied and just sits in the pen by herself and has her head down how can we help her

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Can you place in a pen within the bigger pen for a while? How much space is available? How is she doing otherwise with respect to health?

3. dingosrun

dingosrun New Egg

Dec 24, 2014
    Put in another cage she just stands there seems ok takes deep breathes

4. AnnieE

AnnieE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Southeast Michigan
    Awwww, hope you figure it out. Is she a new addition or did you get them all at the same time? How many do you have?

5. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    I beak trim the bullies. works well for me.

6. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Dingosrun - if she is taking deep breaths, she may have a respiratory problem. I had a chook who just sat, or stood there and didn't feel like doing anything, just taking deep breaths. If you put your ear close to her can you hear her wheezing? In my honest opinion you need to take her to a vet.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Isolate her from flock. This needs to be discussed in emergencies section where proper help can be found. Once health issue resolved, then you will have re-intregation to contend with.

8. AnnieE

Dec 17, 2014
    Southeast Michigan

Beak trim?? That sounds horrible! There must be a more humane way to deal with it.

9. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    It depends how do you do it. if you cut just the sharp tip of the beak it is not painful

10. AnnieE

Dec 17, 2014
    Southeast Michigan
    Mutilating a living being for behavior modification is disgusting. Obviously there are environmental factors that could be addressed instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by