Bullying hen

spymeg

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2021
I appreciate the responses to my question about free ranging. But now I have a different problem. One of my hens is bullying the others. She's pecking at them and I'm pretty sure the reason for all the feathers and egg laying has slowed/stopped for the other hens. If I separate her in a cage that is outdoors, can she stay in there overnight? Doesn't she need shelter? The pen is fenced, covered and locked so predators would have to dig a while before they could get in. I'm in Texas so it's about 40 here now.

As long as the cage is placed so she has protection from predators and the elements (wind, rain) she should be fine outside at night.
Thank you. I was so worried over night but she’s ok and the others seem so happy now that she’s separated. I did read about the peepers but I think this has been going on a while and I wanted a quick solution. I plan to leave her in there another day to see if it stops the bullying. I really appreciate the help. These are my first chickens

A long time ago I had a similar issue when I only had hens. What I did was basically peck her back any time I saw her asserting her dominance on the other hens. Just letting her know she isn't the top bird.... this rooster fella here is. Lol
ive done the same thing !! one kept goin after one of my murans and i kept peckin her and pushing her back. shes stubborn !! if i catch her again im gonna seperate her for a couple days so she loses her place in the peckin order

If you separate her but keep her in the presence of the others, she will not loose pecking order, and when you let her out, she will still be top bird.

Pin-less peepers work very well in small flocks.
Mrs K

If you separate her but keep her in the presence of the others, she will not loose pecking order, and when you let her out, she will still be top bird.

Pin-less peepers work very well in small flocks.
Mrs K
yes i would put her out if sight of the others. she does kind of like to pick on most of the others but not heavily

A long time ago I had a similar issue when I only had hens. What I did was basically peck her back any time I saw her asserting her dominance on the other hens. Just letting her know she isn't the top bird.... this rooster fella here is. Lol
I'll try this too! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom