BULLYING ISA BROWNS

Interesting. My ISA’s I have found to be very friendly. They are completely attached to my husband and they do not seem to have a problem with the other birds in our flock.
Now, they have all been raised together, but I do not observe any sort of aggressive behavior with them at all.

but I realize in his situation these were older birds not familiar with each other so the behavior is understandable.
Beautiful birds and happy hubby. Lol.

It's best to put them in a separate enclosure where they can see each other and get acquainted for a while and not just toss them together. I usually keep the new ones separate from existing ones for 3-4 weeks then free rage them together little so they can have room to run away if need be. and put them up separate after they mingle. after a month or two they usually have the pecking order sorted and I can keep them together.
It's also not healthy to mix chickens from different places like that because they may contaminate each other.

So maybe split them up for now and slowly introduce them and they'll probably adjust to each other better.

Yesterday morning.
They have spent the whole day inside and they get pecked and chased if they come out

Reverse course. You need to slowly integrate. Pen up the newcomers. Let the chickens get used to seeing each other through the safety of a fence first, for at least a week or more, before you remove the fence.

Also too late for this, but it's a good idea to do a quarantine for biosecurity to ensure that the new birds don't carry in any diseases to your flock.

There are places to hide. I have introduced some tree cuttings, perches and under the coop there is a bath.

Coop is 4.5 x 5.5 ish and run is 4m sq or 15 feet square ish sq with perches added not in photo in corners using wood and branches. I took photo when first built but added later.

4.5 x 5.5 ft? Coop is tight for the number of birds. Is there any ventilation? What's your climate like?

Also I'm not seeing any real obstacles. I know you mentioned there's more perches but those alone aren't enough to break line of site if there's a pursuit or bullying. Ideally you want have a few more substantial or solid looking obstacles so birds can use them to hide.

Hi I realize this is an older post but I am in a similar situation right now with my 4 Isa’s. They won’t go after the older existing girls but are piranhas with my 2 new barred rock pullets. I have tried separating and slowly introducing them one by one back into the flock. While it did seem to work at first, they now go after them again. I regret ever getting them. Trying to rehome them as we speak. It’s a shame cause they are great egg layers!! 🥺 I raised them from day old chicks. Really depressing!!

Back
Top Bottom