Bullying problem

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I have a flock of 7. 6 standard and 1 silkie. Pretty much the entire flock bullies/picks on her. If I'm near she sometimes goes behind me or I pick her up to get her away from the problem. Now she try's and leaves the coop/run if the door opens because she keeps getting picked on. Here's the things I cant do

1. I cabt get her, her own coop
2. She cabt have any silkie friends as we dont have enough room and then they will all end up getting bullied
3. We cant get rid of her
4. No I cant cage the bullies as it's the entire flock
5. She cant be an indoor hen haha
Etc.

I have a flock of 7. 6 standard and 1 silkie. Pretty much the entire flock bullies/picks on her. If I'm near she sometimes goes behind me or I pick her up to get her away from the problem. Now she try's and leaves the coop/run if the door opens because she keeps getting picked on. Here's the things I cant do

1. I cabt get her, her own coop
2. She cabt have any silkie friends as we dont have enough room and then they will all end up getting bullied
3. We cant get rid of her
4. No I cant cage the bullies as it's the entire flock
5. She cant be an indoor hen haha
Etc.
If you already preclude in advance all the sensible solutions to the problem, what do you expect us to advise?

The best for her would be to find her a new home in a Silkies only flock.

It appears you have a dilemma. If I have similar issues, I separate the birds. I put the bird being picked on it her coop and take the other birds out for a few days and put them in another. After a week or so then I put all of the birds back in their original coop and it's like a new coop because they have been out for awhile so they become like new comers and that usually solves the problem but they will still re-establish a new pecking order but it usually goes pretty well. Good luck...

It appears you have a dilemma. If I have similar issues, I separate the birds. I put the bird being picked on it her coop and take the other birds out for a few days and put them in another. After a week or so then I put all of the birds back in their original coop and it's like a new coop because they have been out for awhile so they become like new comers and that usually solves the problem but they will still re-establish a new pecking order but it usually goes pretty well. Good luck...
Here's the thing even though she doesnt like being in there she also doesnt like being away from them as some days one will protect her and other days they chase her. Its usually in the mornings and night time it's bad but during the day things calm down. It hasn't gotten serious it's mostly if one steps in her direction she screams and runs away. Which makes them think oh shes weak let's bug her. Ya know what I mean to say? Overall they have their days. They do get yelled at if I see them do that.

If you already preclude in advance all the sensible solutions to the problem, what do you expect us to advise?
x2. If you're asking for advice, but everything is already a "can't do it," then the worst potential outcome is the chickens will make the decision for you by killing her.

How about listing what you "can" or are willing to do?

x2. If you're asking for advice, but everything is already a "can't do it," then the worst potential outcome is the chickens will make the decision for you by killing her.

How about listing what you "can" or are willing to do?
All the "potential" things I could do are not going to work. I've been through these before posting this thread. We are making the coop part bigger and it's almost done so we are going to see how everything goes after that.

Back
Top Bottom