Bullying?

animalfarm1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
Animal Farm
So, I have a coop of 7 hens and a rooster. One of my hens is a Naked Neck, I noticed that whenever the hens want to take her food, she'll lower her head towards the ground, and if she doesn't, they'll bite the skin on her neck... Is this bullying? They don't peck, they only tug at her skin once and she'll bow down to them, but I'm worried that they might end up hurting her..

-Lani

Well, it normal pecking order in operation. But sometimes the pecking order results in the lowest one not getting enough to eat.

I would try and make sure there are multiple feeders and waterers available throughout both the coop and run, so that she can always get to one somewhere if she is hungry or thirsty.

You could also try and put some things in the coop and run so that she can run and hide from the others if needs be. Some fallen tree branches make a nice hidey-hole out in the run, or you could lean some sheets of tin up against the fences. Anything so she can have a little peace and quiet and get away if she needs to.

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom