Bum eggs but NEW chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coolchickens, Feb 22, 2009.

1. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, my day 14 of broody setting proved the last 3 of the 8 were also not fertile. All that waiting for nothing! BUT.... I got a call from the feed store the golden laced wyandottes were in so I rushed off Fri. and got 5 of those and 1 barred rock. Put them under mama Fri. night late and removed last 3 eggs and now there is no waiting & I have lovely new BABIES!! Its wonderful and she is being a perfect mommy to them. I sit and chicken watch all day. Its so much fun watching them diving into mama all over. She's a Cochin (lrg blu) and her feathers all start moving around as they claim their spots and sometimes little heads peek out from neck, or back, or wing. Love it! That's the part that you miss with incubating and the interaction with a good broody is wonderful entertainment. Sharon

2. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    cool [​IMG] do you separate them from the rest of the flock?

3. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I did separate the hen coop in half so mama has her nesting box and about 3 ft x 8 ft. to walk around with babies and the other side allows her last hatch which are about 20 wks old now to get inside to their roosts. I'm afraid the bigger ones will peck at the little ones so plan to keep separated until they are much bigger.

4. wyndski

wyndski Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    Where is the pictures?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by